Naperville North, Have You Heard Of Internet Essentials?

A new initiative from District 203 gives qualified students access to reduced priced internet at home

342

A new initiative from District 203 gives qualified students access to reduced-priced internet at home from Naperville North, to ensure that the students get a better education.

For the past few years, Naperville North’s administrative staff has been coming up with different ways to help students improve their educational values like going 1:1. 1:1 is where everyone at north gets an electronic device to take home. Also, North has added a new program called Internet Essentials from Comcast. A current Naperville North teacher told me, “We assume that students will go to the library or meet with us in the morning.”

The students who qualify and or get free or reduced-priced lunch qualify for $9.95 a month with no annual increase. With this, it is optional to buy a computer and or laptop. The “District pays out of pocket” to help the families who cannot pay the $9.95 a month. Without this program, it is more difficult for the student to learn and adds more stress on the family.

One student affirmed in a short interview, “I’ve tried my best to get my assignments completed even though the sites were blocked.” In addition, a parent also informed me, “Just because a family has money doesn’t mean that their children should have an unfair advantage compared to a family that doesn’t have money.”

Students who do not have enough money to afford Internet have an unfair disadvantage in comparison to kids and families who have money and are able to afford Internet. A graduate of Naperville North told me “Because I (was) a senior, my teachers expect me to complete my assignments on time no matter what the reason.” This also proves how unaware some teachers may be to a student’s situation at home.

The new initiative program from district 203 gives qualified students access to reduce priced Internet at home from North. Most of the students don’t have access to the Internet at home.

Let’s start to make a change in our kids and students educational life — Starting now.