When it comes to the end of a school year, every student has mixed thoughts. Some are happy, some are sad, and some are just downright stressed. This is an example of my thoughts over the course of a few days.
Subscribe to our
Ah, Paris! The art! The museums! The cheese!! As Charles de Gaulle said, "France cannot be France without greatness." Not to mention it is absolutely gorgeous. I'll show you.
The Medici Fountain, Paris, France
Saint Sulpice, Paris, France
Notre Dame, Paris, France
Musee D'Orsay, Paris, France
A georgeous room in the Musee D'Orsay.
Ever have more than one BBQ to attend? Don't get overwhelmed. These are the dos and don'ts to BBQ hop successfully..
Summer... the time for chilling and relaxing at the beach, having picnics, maybe going to an amusement park, or catch lightning bugs. It's the time to enjoy yourself without having to be stressed out from work or school. It's also the time for barbecues! Delicious burgers, tasty hot dogs, succulent chicken, and mouthwatering ribs, the list goes on and on. BBQs are not only a great way to try and show off your cooking and grilling skills, but also for getting together with family and friends. They're great for catching up with old relatives you haven't seen in a year, and the friends you have been dying to see since you returned from college.
to have BBQs! They're the best type of parties and so you end up
getting invited to four in one day! You're probably asking yourself how you can do it all -- maybe it's better to just choose one. Don't fret, there's a way you can go to all four without
upsetting the hosts. You just have to follow these simple dos and don'ts of
1. The first
and most important rule is to make sure you
establish staggered start times. The reason for this, is that it makes
it easier to figure out which party starts first and which one starts last.
Then, you can establish a schedule for when you leaving and when you
should arrive. If you don't, you'll probably wind up spending two and a half hours at one party, and 30 minutes at another. Trust me on this first rule.
2. The 60 minute rule. Very simple rule. Make your rounds at the party speaking with everyone you know and making more friends -- but for no more than an hour. After the hour is up, you leave and go to the next party. My whole family can vouch for this rule because we do it all the time if we have more than two parties a day.
3. Take an out of town guest, if possible. This is a great idea, because then you can blame your early departure on your guest. Say something like, "Sorry, Jen, my friend Pete is only in town until tomorrow and he has family here so we have to see them before he leaves." It works every time. You could even play the, I'm sick card, if necessary. Just make it believable!
4. Dress with minimal clothes and say you need to leave because it's getting chilly. My mom uses this one every time. It works and you should always wear something memorable so that everyone knows you attended. Nothing Lady Gaga like, but definitely an outfit that will get you cold and noticed.
5. Fake a call and, while taking the call, walk away mouthing an apology that you need to leave ASAP. This is one you need to break out the acting skills for. It has to be very believable. If it isn't, the host will definitely try to make an excuse for you to stay. Don't screw it up.
1. Do not, I repeat do not just eat and leave. That is probably the rudest action someone can do. It makes the host feel like you only came for the food. You did, but the host doesn't have to know that! If you're going to eat, then have little snacks like chips and dips.
2. Don't say you're not hungry. I made the
mistake of doing that one time, and the host got upset. It makes you feel
totally awkward the entire time you're there. It makes them feel like
they're a terrible cook. Eat something little and compliment the chef and just
divert the situation. Remember, you only have an hour.
3. Never go empty handed! This is kind of a rule for any type of party. It's just a sign of endearment and thought. Yes, I didn't slave over a hot stove preparing food the night before, but I did think about you and how much you love this cake, so here's to you my friend!
4. Don't play favorites when it comes to going to and from different parties. I don't care if he or she's your best friend. You'll probably see her tomorrow and it's just rude to keep the other parties hanging.
5. Don't stay with one group. Make all your rounds at the party -- meaning, talk to everyone you know. Make sure to allow who ever you're talking with to actually speak. That way, they know you were there and that you held a conversation. Also, it makes them feel good when you listen to them and their many problems.
6. The last, and most important rule of the don'ts, is never be late. If you are late, you'll screw up the whole 60-minute rule and your BBQ hopping will be a complete mess. Being on time is not only a work and school thing, but a party thing, too. Think of it as your job, or like getting to class on time.
Be prepared and ready to follow these dos; know and avoid the don'ts. Now you know the fine art of BBQ hopping. Follow and memorize these dos and don'ts like they are the holy bible. They work. Have fun at all theBBQs and have a wonderful remainder of the summer. Toodles!
You just can't be as cool as these 9 people.
Let’s face it. Pretty much all of us have some sort of weird in us. No matter what image you try to put out about yourself, eventually your weirdness will spring out of its inner shell.
While this is true for most of us, some people are just unquestionably cool. The unique thing about these particular people is that they are fully and utterly themselves, and nobody can take that away from them. As Emma Watson, everybody’s crush from Harry Potter, once said, “I don’t want other people to decide who I am. I want to decide that for myself.” And so, here are the world’s Top 9 Coolest People as well as some honorable mentions.
Honorable Mentions: Adam Levine, Diplo, Justin Timberlake, Jennifer Lawrence, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Ed Westwick, Blake Lively, James Franco, and Andrea Pirlo.
TOP 9 Coolest People
9. Seth Rogen
Cool things about him:
1. Everything he has ever said is funny or cool.
2. He has starred in and written several comedies.
3. He set up the foundation Hilarity for Charity with his wife to raise awareness for Alzheimer’s.
4. He is one of few people who can pull off a curly hairdo and look good doing it.
Best Quote: “Most people I work with are older than me and the main thing I’ve learned is that everyone is as dumb as an 18-year-old.”
8. Christian Bale
Cool things about him:
1. He played batman in the "Dark Knight" trilogy.
2. He visited victims of the mass shooting in the midnight showing of "The Dark Knight Rises" in Aurora, Colorado.
3. He made musicals cool in his performances in "Newsies" and "Swing Kids."
4. He lost 63 pounds to play his role in "The Machinist" only to then gain 100 pounds in the following six months to play his role in "Batman Begins."
5. He won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his performance in "The Fighter" (2010).
Best Quote: “I mean, first of all, let me say whichever superhero first came up with the idea of wearing a cape, he wasn't really onto anything good. The number of times I'm treading on that damn thing or I throw a punch and it ends up covering my whole head. It's really not practical.”
7. Angelina Jolie
Cool things about her:
1. She has won several awards for her roles in films including an Oscar for Best Supporting Actress.
2. She has won the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award as well as many other awards for her charity work and is an ambassador for United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
3. She has also formed quite the power couple with Brad Pitt as the two currently have six children, three of whom are adopted.
Best Quote: “When other little girls wanted to be ballet dancers, I kind of wanted to be a vampire.”
6. Brad Pitt
Cool things about him:
1. He has acted or produced in over 60 movies.
2. He is seen as the world’s most attractive man by various media outlets.
3. He and Angelina Jolie make for one of the greatest celebrity power couples.
4. He is a ninth cousin to President Obama.
5. He, along with Angelina, have donated millions to various charities around the world to show their support for various causes.
Best Quote: “I’m one of those people you hate because of genetics. It’s the truth.”
5. Leonardo DiCaprio
Cool things about him:
1. He beat out Christian Bale in roles in "Who’s Eating Gilbert Grape" and "Titanic."
2. He was named after Leonardo Da Vinci after his mother felt him kicking for the first time while looking at a portrait of Leonardo Da Vinci.
3. Although he has not won an Academy Award, he has won 36 other rewards and received 136 nominations for his work in film.
4. He is a United Nations Representative on climate change.
5. Vladimir Putin once called him a “real man.”
Best Quote: “I’m not the type of person who tries to be cool or trendy; I’m definitely an individual.”
4. Emma Watson
Cool things about her:
1. She played the part of Hermione Granger in all eight "Harry Potter" movies after JK Rowling wanted her to have the part.
2. She studied at Brown University while also acting in "Harry Potter," "This Is the End," "The Perks of Being a Wallflower," and "Noah."
3. While doing all of this, she continues to support various charitable causes such as disaster relief, gender equality, health, human rights, physical challenges, and poverty.
Best Quote: “I don’t want other people to decide who I am. I want to decide that for myself.”
3. David Beckham
Cool things about him:
1. He played soccer for six clubs and in five countries as well as playing internationally for England.
2. His whole family is good looking.
3. The movie "Bend It Like Beckham" is named after Beckham and his signature method of taking free kicks.
4. He supports 16 charities including UNICEF, Red Cross, and Help for Heroes.
5. He can pull off any hairstyle he wants.
Best Quote: “People react to criticism in different ways, and my way is definitely to come out fighting.”
2. JK Rowling
Cool things about her:
1. She created the magical world known as Hogwarts with the "Harry Potter" series.
2. Her birthday, July 31, is the same as Harry Potter’s.
3. She went from being unemployed and living on state benefits to becoming a millionaire within five years.
4. She is a wizard at Twitter.
5. She makes fat stacks (she has a net worth of one billion).
Best Quote: "We do not need magic to transform our world. We carry all the power we need inside ourselves already. We have the power to imagine better."
1. Morgan Freeman
Cool Things about him:
1. He has the best voice known to man.
2. He is seen by many as a fatherly and godly figure.
3. He served four years in the military.
4. He is the first American to record a par on Legend Golf and Safari Resort’s Extreme 19 th hole.
5. Nelson Mandela once said that the only actor he would like to play him in a movie is Morgan Freeman.
Best Quote: “The best way to guarantee a loss is to quit.”
Remember when that one person told you that being cool meant doing this or that? Well, they were lying. As you may see, being cool is synonymous with being these people.
There's a lot of wisdom shared here.
"Never regret a day of your life: The good days give you happiness, the bad days give you experience, the worst days give you lessons, and the best days give you memories."
1. Have a firm handshake
2. Look people in the eye.
3. Sing in the shower.
4. Own a great stereo system.
5. If in a fight, hit hard and hit first.
6. Keep secrets.
7. Never give up on anybody.
8. Always accept an outstretched hand.
9. Be brave. Even if you're not, pretend to be. No one can tell the difference.
11. Avoid sarcastic remarks.
12. Choose your life's significant other carefully. From this one decision will come 90 percent of all your happiness or misery.
13. Make it a habit to do nice things for people who will never find out.
14. Lend only those books that you never tend to send again.
15. Never deprive someone of hope; it might be all they have.
16. When playing games with children, let them win.
17. Give people a second chance, but not a third.
18. Be romantic.
19. Become the most positive and enthusiastic person you know.
20. Loosen up, Relax. Except for rare life-and-death matters, nothing is as important as it first seems.
21. Don't allow the phone to interrupt important moments. It's there for our convenience, not the caller's.
22. Be a good loser.
23. Be a good winner.
24. Think twice before burdening a friend with a secret.
25. When someone hugs you, let them be the first to let go.
26. Be modest. A lot was accomplished before you were born.
27. Keep it simple.
28. Beware of the person who has nothing to lose.
29. Don't burn bridges. You'll be surprised how many times you have to cross the same river.
30. Live your life so that your obituary can read, No regrets.
31. Be bold and courageous. When you look back on life, you'll regret the things you didn't do more than the ones you did.
32. Never waste an opportunity to tell someone you love them.
33. Remember no one makes it alone. Have a grateful heart and be quick to acknowledge those who helped you.
34. Take charge of your attitude. Don't let someone else choose it for you.
35. Visit friends and relatives when they are in the hospital; even if it is just for a few minutes
36. Begin each day with some of your favorite music.
37. Once in awhile, take the scenic route.
38. Send a lot of Valentine cards. Sign them, "Someone who thinks you're terrific."
39. Answer the phone with enthusiasm and energy in your voice.
40. Keep a notepad and pencil on your bed-side table. Million-dollar ideas sometimes strike at 3 a.m.
41. Show respect for everyone who works for a living, regardless of how trivial their job.
42. Send your loved ones flowers. Think of a reason later.
43. Make someone's day by paying the toll for the person in the car behind you.
44. Become someone's hero.
45. Marry only for love.
46. Count your blessings.
47. Compliment the meal when you're a guest in someone's home.
48. Wave at the children on a school bus.
49. Remember that 80 percent of the success in any job is based on your ability to deal with people.
50. Don't expect life to be fair.
It's all fine unless you had plans to be productive today.
For those of us who are stuck working while it rains, the day is very different from rainy, lazy, days where we can read and relax at home. Several different types of careers are affected by the rain, from those who spend all day indoors to those that have to work outside or with children.
From commuting to work on the highways, to bus drivers taking kids to school or public transportation like cabs taking people around town, rain is a bother that's barely better than snow.
2. Customer Service
On rainy days, those who work in retail or customer service deal with muddy floors, grumpy customers and more. People who work in these places have either really slow or really busy days when it rains, and every place is different, but rain makes the day longer for everyone.
When you work with kids, outside time is essential to the teachers' sanity at times. Having to figure out what you're going to do with a bunch of energetic kids all day, when they can't get their energy out in any other way, is difficult on rainy days. For students, rain can make a day worse just because of the lack of sunlight. For college students, rain means walking long distances with, most likely, no umbrella and no coat in sideways rain and rivers in the sidewalk.
For some, the rain is greeted with joy. For the effects it brings on nature, the rainbows after, and even the acts of jumping in puddles and playing in the rain, an optimist will most likely enjoy the rain.
For those of us who see the glass as half empty, rain just makes the day worse than it most likely already was. From needing to find an umbrella and the hassle of carrying it around all day, to having to deal with
6. Mid-Western States
"it's been so rainy that I don't know what my hair type is anymore."- quote from my friend's sister, Sarah.
As a citizen of Indiana, rain is heavy on and off for weeks at a time and with the water table so low that the puddles last forever and the river is almost flooded several times a year.
On rainy weekends, the best part of a rainy day is the ability to just sit and read a book or clean the various parts of the house/ room/apartment that you wouldn't on other days. Unless you have plans to go somewhere outside all day, the rain on a weekend isn't nearly as bad.
Whether you're working or not, rainy days are special. Special to an optimistic person means that they will think of how much good the rain will be for plants or for lowering the humidity in the area, while a pessimistic person will worry about driving in the pouring rain or about the river flooding. ("Because it's the fourth day of rain this week and the White River is already high.")
1. Brittany Morgan, National Writer's Society
2. Radhi, SUNY Stony Brook
3. Kristen Haddox, Penn State University
4. Jennifer Kustanovich, SUNY Stony Brook
5. Clare Regelbrugge, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign