My Barcelona Top Ten

My Barcelona Top Ten

Barcelona is so much more than pan con tomate!

18
My Barcelona Top Ten
La Boqueria -Barcelona Market

I only have a few weeks left of my study abroad experience *cringe* and I am so not ready to leave. I've been thinking back on my trip and realized just how many cool and exciting places I go to on a daily basis. Although I could list off 100 of my favorite things about being abroad, I have shortened my list to my Top Ten favorite food and drinks in Barcelona simply because I love to eat.

1. Spice Cafe

I talk about Spice Cafe way too often, but it is one of the most warm and inviting places to study. The man who runs the cafe allows you to sit with your books all day if you want. You can order anything on the menu, and I can guarantee it will be delicious. Never have I ever had such a wonderful bagel. The carrot cake is our study abroad group's favorite. We can't leave without having at least a little huge slice. Spice Cafe is also a wonderful place to practice your Spanish. The staff didn't know Spanish when they moved to Barcelona, so they remember exactly what it's like trying to learn a new language- they'll talk slowly and correct you when you make inevitable errors. I'll definitely be missing this cute little place when I go back home.

2. Wok to Walk

This fast food restaurant can be found all over Europe (I've indulged in its deliciousness in Amsterdam too). If you're ever in the mood to switch it up a bit and get some Asian food, Wok to Walk is the place to go. The amount of food you get with each order is enough to feed a small village. Plus, you get to create your meal every step of the way: first, you pick your noodles, then your meat and veggies, and finally, your sauce. It's quick and individualized to make it the perfect meal to grab in between classes!

3. Dow Jones

Possibly one of the coolest ideas for a bar, Dow Jones has a stock market theme. Therefore, the most popular drink of the night will have the lowest price, and the least popular will have the highest price. Additionally, after every 30 minutes to an hour, there's a "stock market crash," making all of the drinks a fraction of the original cost! This place is not only cheap, but unique, making it one of the best ways to spend a night out with friends.

4. Santagloria

There's about 20 of these in Barcelona, but no matter which one you go to, you'll have a peaceful, yummy experience. The tea comes by the kettle- definitely worth the cheap price, and the atmosphere is open and airy. My friends and I frequent Santagloria the days before a big exam. The staff will let you sprawl out your books all day if you have to!

5. Bar Marsella

Although the drink list really doesn't offer anything spectacular, the bar itself is beyond neat. The bar remains the same as when Hemingway used to visit. There are dusty bottles lined up along the walls and peeling paint. Plus, the crowd is very relaxed. It remains to be one of the most comfortable places to chat with friends.

6. La Fabrica

Just a short walk from the center of the Gothic Quarter, La Fabrica is a restaurant dedicated to empanadas. There are endless options- ALWAYS freshly prepared, and the prices aren't too shabby. They're a cheap meal to take with you on a stroll around the Gothic Quarter! Did I mention they're delicious?!

7. Els Quatre Gats

For any fans of Picasso, look no further. Els Quatre Gats was Picasso's favorite hangout to exchange ideas with other artists and writers. This little cafe offers a great menu for breakfast with a Bohemian feel. Unfortunately, because of Picasso's fame, it is a tad touristy for my liking, but if you visit during the week, you're more likely to be left in peace with your tea and a good book.

8. Txapela

A restaurant dedicated specifically to tapas, Txapela is a popular spot for our study abroad group to celebrate a birthday or a visit from family. Prices aren't bad (unless you simply can't stop ordering tapas like me) and each one is guaranteed to be delicious. If you're indecisive, this is the place for you. You can explore all of your options and continue ordering throughout your dinner to guarantee you try the cuttlefish and patatas bravas you've been so eager to taste.

9. Creps Barcelona

These phenomenal creps give all other creps a run for their money- even the ones from Paris! Picking from an extensive menu, you have your choice of sweet or savory. If you still don't see anything you like, the staff are more than happy to make you a crep special ordered. Don't forget the whipped cream!

10. Timesburg

Last, but certainly not least, is Timesburg. I'm fortunate to have this yummy burger place across from my homestay, but trust me, it's worth a visit. The burgers are some of the most delicious burgers I have ever had, beating out any of the gross, greasy things you'll find in America. Come hungry though. You'll have to be rolled out of the building after a lunch here!