My Top Picks Of The 1980s

My Top Picks Of The 1980s

21 songs from one of music's greatest decades

316
My Top Picks Of The 1980s
5 Reasons to See Motley Crue Final Tour

The 1980s was a great decade of music, filled with a lot of different sounds whether it be the sound of heavy guitar riffs, the smooth flow of a piano or the synth sounds of an electronic keyboard. The sounds of the 1980s influenced many of the bands and artists we listen to today, and so I decided to give readers a glance into twenty one songs from the 1980s that I grew up with (and still listen to today).

21. "When Doves Cry"--Prince

Prince is easily one of the best artists of the 1980s. Last month, his death came as a shock to the entire world because Prince inspired so many artists with his style and lyrics.

20. "Poison"--Alice Cooper

I love Alice Cooper's style simply because his voice is unique. I haven't heard another person sound quite like Alice Cooper. "Poison" is one of my favorite songs of his because it was the song that got me listening to Alice Cooper.

19. "Faithfully"--Journey

"Faithfully" is one of Journey's most memorable ballads. The lyrics are a testament to the hard life of a rock star and his love while he spends his time on the road with his career. "Faithfully" is such a beautiful song with the piano and the guitar both completely in sync with each other.

18. "Billie Jean"--Michael Jackson

I love Michael Jackson. Honestly, many of his songs are in my favorites of the 1980s list, but this one is my absolutely favorite. I love the vibe of this song. It doesn't matter how much I hear this song, it never ceases to keep me from dancing to it.

17. "Straight Up"--Paula Abdul

I can't tell you how many times I've turned on this song and just let loose dancing and singing alone in my room over the past year. "Straight Up" has such a fun beat to it, and Paula Abdul's voice on this song is amazing!

16. "Close My Eyes Forever"--Lita Ford and Ozzy Osbourne

Ozzy Osbourne and Lita Ford. What more do I have to say? Lita Ford has been one of my favorite ladies of the 80's, and there is no other quite like Ozzy Osbourne. The song in itself is absolutely beautiful and haunting with the lyrics "if I close my eyes forever" being repeated and asking if things would change if the person closed his or her eyes forever. It's such a beautiful, haunting duet, and I love it so much.

15. "How Soon Is Now"--The Smiths

I discovered this Smith's song as I grew up watching Charmed every morning. "How Soon Is Now" is the theme. I started listening to the Smiths more and more because of this song.

14. "Every Rose Has Its Thorn"--Poison

I can't remember a time in my life when I haven't listened to Poison. This song in particular is the first Poison song I ever memorized because I've heard it over and over again throughout the years. It's definitely my favorite Poison song of all time.

13. "Sussudio"--Phil Collins

I heard this song while watching American Psycho. I'm not saying what scene it's in, but I will say that this song is definitely really catchy and fun to dance to. Phil Collins has been my childhood along with Sir Elton John, and I will never not love Phil Collins' music.

12. "Under Pressure"--Queen and David Bowie

Two greats in one song: David Bowie and Freddie Mercury. "Under Pressure" is just one of those songs that if you listen to it at the right moments in your life it just completely hits you right in your emotions. Bowie and Mercury's voices blend amazingly well together, and this is one classic song that should never be forgotten.

11. "Hungry Like The Wolf"--Duran Duran

"Hungry Like The Wolf" is just a fun song to listen to and sing along with. Duran Duran has quite a few of these great songs like that. "Rio" being another of them, and I just love Duran Duran's sound.

10. "(I've Had) The Time of My Life"--Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes

Who hasn't heard this song? Dirty Dancing is one of my favorite, classic 80's movies. Every time I hear this song, I remember the scene where Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey danced. I always wanted to learn the dance from the movie, and I will never hear this song without singing along.

9. "I'll Be There For You"--Bon Jovi

Bon Jovi is another one of those bands that I grew up with. My mom was really into Bon Jovi. This song is my personal favorite. It's everything I've ever really wanted to have someone say to me.

8. "Welcome to the Jungle"--Guns N' Roses

Guns N' Roses is definitely one of the best bands from the 80's. "Welcome to the Jungle" is my personal favorite anthem to a testament on this crazy world that we live in. This world really feels like a jungle sometimes.

7. "Rock You Like A Hurricane"--Scorpions

The Scorpions classic "Rock You Like A Hurricane" is one of the few songs from the 80's that I've tried teaching myself on the guitar because it is so fun to listen to. The main guitar riff from this is so memorable even though it repeats over and over again. I was completely hooked on The Scorpions after hearing this song.

6. "Once Bitten, Twice Shy"--Great White

This song is just really fun to sing along with. The lyrics are a fun story if you really pay attention to them...and if you know what the old saying "once bitten, twice shy" means.

5. "Love of a Lifetime"--Firehouse

This song makes my top 5 because of how beautiful it is. It's one of the greatest power ballads that I've ever heard in my life, and the fact that it's the song my mom and dad danced to at their wedding makes it that much more special to me. I hope one day that I, myself, find that "love of a lifetime".

4. "Heaven"--Warrant

I think a lot of people would probably want to see "Cherry Pie" on this list, but "Heaven" is such a great song. The singer talks about not needing to be the greatest thing on the planet just so long as he's the greatest thing in the world to just one special person, and I can understand that completely. To me, that's love. That's wanting to be everything for just one person and not caring about if everyone else thinks that you're lacking something.

3. "Girls Girls Girls"--Motley Crue

Motley Crue is my favorite 80's band. I picked "Girls Girls Girls" as my number 3 slot on the list because of all the Friday mornings I spent listening to Ace & TJ's Friday Morning Weekend Blast-Off with my mom in the car before I went to school and the many times this song was played. The guitar riff is amazing--Mick Mars will always be one of my favorite guitarists. The song itself is so much fun and a testament to how the band lived its days in the 80's.

2. "Dr. Feelgood"--Motley Crue

The sound of "Dr. Feelgood" is always one I never will get tired of. It's such a heavy, fast-paced song, and I love it. Yeah, it's talking about drugs and whatnot, but it's still a great song to listen to.

1. "Home Sweet Home"--Motley Crue

Number one on my list is "Home Sweet Home". It's both a testament to the band because they completed their final tour and an amazing song that will always hold a dear place in my heart. Home is everything to me, even though I sometimes get tired of being in my hometown. It's the people and the experiences you have with those people that make it home. I think that's one of the lessons that Nikki Sixx taught when he wrote the song.