2019's Best Movies: My Top 5 from ASU

2019's Best Movies: My Top 5 from ASU

This year was a phenomenal year for movies, so it was absolutely hard to pick out my top five favorite films of 2019 when the field was wide open.

50
The Kim Family (Woo-sik Choi, Kang-ho Song, Hye-jin Jang, So-dam Park) are surrounded by folded pizza boxes as they sit on the floor of their cramped, poorer apartment in "Parasite."
Courtesy of NEON CJ Entertainment

As 2019 comes to a close, I want to share my top five favorite movies of the year (in no particular order). These films made my list based on not just quality of the movie but quality of my experience, too. Take a look at the movies I couldn't stop recommending to friends and family.

'Parasite', Directed and written by Bong Joon Ho

If you see Korean film "Parasite," get ready to be thrown for a loop. It's better to watch the movie with as little prior information as possible. All you need to know is this: it's about a poor family that cons their way into working for a rich family. So naturally, it's a perfect commentary movie on social class. It's clever, well-acted and extremely fun.

'Booksmart,' directed by Olivia Wilde

Kaitlyn Dever and Beanie Feldstein have fantastic chemistry as two best friends Amy and Molly who are graduating from high school at the top of their class. On the eve of their graduation, they realize their party-animal classmates got into prestigious schools, too. So they decide to attend their first party which takes them on a wild ride of hilarious events. It's a great major directorial debut for Olivia Wilde.

''The Peanut Butter Falcon,' directed and written by Tyler Nilson and Michael Schwartz

Between "The Peanut Butter Falcon" and "Honey Boy," Shia LaBeouf is having a fantastic year. Zak (Zack Gottsagen) dreams of attending a wrestling school outside of his nursing home walls. Tyler (LaBeouf) is on the run from his old life. The unlikely pair meet, become fast friends and embark on a heart-warming adventure.

'1917,' directed and co-written by Sam Mendes

The cinematic world needs an innovative World War I movie, and that's why "1917" exists. British privates Blake (Dean-Charles Chapman) and Schofield (George MacKay) are ordered to deliver a message that will stop 1,600 men, including Blake's brother, from walking into a trap. The continuous-shot cinematography is stunning, and it makes viewers feel like they're running through the trenches with these men. The cast and crew deserve every technical nod that comes their way.

'Shazam!,' directed by David F. Sandberg

Don't say that D.C. Entertainment never made a good movie. "Shazam!" follows foster kid Billy Batson (Asher Angel) who gains super powers, turning him into an electrifying Zachary Levi. It's on the goofy side compared to other comic book hero movies, but that's great. The film doesn't take itself too seriously. However, when it does get more serious it sends an emotional message about family. And that one scene during the big battle ending leaves the biggest joyful smile on my face.

So in conclusion...

Do you completely agree or disagree with my picks? I want to know which movies were your favorites of the year. Which movie left your jaw on the floor? Which film made you cry happy tears? I'm all ears.