My Take On Cristina Martinez

My Take On Cristina Martinez

Chef's Table Season 5 Episode

156
My Take On Cristina Martinez

Cristina Martinez is a Mexican chef based out in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She is also a strong advocate for immigrants and immigration policy. In the episode of Chef's Table that starred Cristina Martinez, they demonstrate those aspects of her perfectly. This episode of Chef's Table was very political, dealing with illegal immigration and gender roles in the cooking industry.

Barbacoa was a huge symbol throughout the episode, being the main dish of Cristina Martinez's cooking. I noticed that barbacoa reminded Cristina of her hometown and the dish represented Cristina's culture and traditions. Cristina brought this culture to Philadelphia, introducing barbacoa to those who may have never known without her. In the beginning she showed how barbacoa was prepared. Explaining how each taco she sells is hand-made. The maize she uses holds a close place to her heart, the maize is from the town she left to give her and her family a better life. She used the corn to make tortillas, where she places the barbacoa inside of. Cristina Martinez explained how every sing taco given was made by hand. After the explanation of the food she sells at her restaurant the episode transitioned into what life is like being a woman and immigrant in the American culinary world.

When Cristina decided to move here, it was a very hard decision for her to make. Her husband was in control of all her money and she wanted to find a way to break away. She did attempt to come to the United States legally, but the process did not work in her favor. She tried to find jobs to help her save money, but it was impossible due to her husband. Having a daughter that she wanted to provide a better life for, Cristina was determined to come to America. In order to be able to provide for herself while in America, she came here illegally and moved to Philadelphia; located in Pennsylvania. Cristina began to cook barbacoa tacos for the community, becoming most known for the traditional corn use of hand-made tortillas. This decision demonstrated the hard work and passion she had for her food and customers.

The episode did not have a very pleasant take with everyone, and opposers of illegal immigration found Cristina to be disrespectful of the law. The episode was meant to create an understanding of immigration and how not everyone could come to this country as easy as other people do.

Cristina makes it known on the show that the restaurant industry relies on immigrants and the different types of foods all the cultures have to offer. She acknowledges the negative attitudes immigrants deal with from society and how it is accepted as something having to deal with.

I was impressed by Cristina the entire episode. It was inspiring to watch the journey of someone I don't even know. She managed to work her way up through food and build an amazing community of people. She embodies what it means to be an American; hardworking in order to build a better life for your family. Her activism throughout the episode sent a strong message to the audience that immigrants have to go above and beyond to work for what Americans already have. She understands she broke the law, but she didn't have any other options. She continues to be an honest person who wants to create a life for immigrants to be able to come here legally, but also easier. Her restaurant being so popular carries a strong political stance. Handing out hand-made tortillas and meat from another country, illegally, illustrates who she is and the amount of hard work it took her to get there. This political stance is extremely daring, as well as something not everyone agrees with.