My Summer Reality

My Summer Reality

What Summer Is Really Like

18
Infant Tech

Everyone's expectations of summer consist of getting drunk on the beach with their friends, spending the warm summer nights out until 3 am at a bonfire or a party. But, in reality, my summer is far from that.

1. Work: ALL THE TIME

I work at a day camp near my house. I love it, I really do, but when my friends want to take a day to go to the beach in the middle of the week, I hang my head in shame and explain that I have to work 5 days a week, 8 hours a day.

2. Your friends are nowhere to be found.

Your college friends went home, your home friends are away on vacation or working away from home. Even my sister goes to camp for 6 weeks so I'm left alone most of the time. Thank god I have a dog.

3. Going to the beach is fun, until you end up like a lobster.

When you're fair skinned, going to the beach ends up being a painful experience. Remember sunblock, my friends!

4. If you don't have a pool, you need to mooch off of your friends that do in order to cool down.

"Hey, wanna hang out?" "Yeah, can I come to your house and go swimming because I'm dying here"

5. Parties at night turn into drinking with your parents.

Most of the time, when I try to make plans with my friends, I end up drinking in my backyard with my parents.

7. Cute Dates? Nope.

I live in Massachusetts, my boyfriend lives in Illinois so therefore there are only FaceTime dates for us.

8. But mostly, I can't wait to make new memories this summer!