I Never Wanted To Join A Sorority

I Never Wanted To Join A Sorority

An organization of estrogen-filled females? No thank you, sir.

31
I Never Wanted To Join A Sorority
Gamma Psi Sorority

When I came to college, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Being the over-analyzing pessimist that I used to be, my biggest fear was that I would end up spending all my time in my room and successfully not making friends. Me and my close circle from high school all went our separate ways for college, leaving me to figure out who I was and who I wanted to be. It was weird having all this freedom to explore and delve into myself. I was liberated, but I was more like the bird you set free that was afraid to use its wings. That first year, I was a firecracker firing in any and every direction. I didn't really know where my place was or who my people were. College fit me, but it felt more like wearing that cute shirt that just doesn't quite set right. I still wasn't sure this place was what I wanted, and I even applied at other schools hoping maybe I could find my niche somewhere else, but something kept bringing me back. I kept meeting new people and discovering new things to love about my campus and its people. I realize now that it was all just stepping stones leading me to a bigger decision. With that being said, it wasn't until the spring semester of my sophomore year that I decided to do it— I decided to rush a sorority.

Now, I never wanted to join Greek life. I'd seen the television shows, heard the stories, and watched the news reports enough to whip up a quick stereotype and slap a big "hell no" on the label. Paying for my friends? That doesn't really seem like a genuine experience to me. I really thought I had the whole sorority thing figured out, and that it was just an artificial bond between superficial people. For a year and a half I didn't even give them a chance. I wrote them off as easily I had written off wearing real pants to class (the latter of which I don't regret, you should try it sometime). I had always prided myself on being an open-minded person but there I was, closing a door that I hadn't even opened yet. Once the idea popped into my head, I started noticing people I hadn't noticed before. That girl who always smiled at people when she passed them on the sidewalk, the senior in my class who just had this infectious aura about her that made you want to know her or be her, these confident women who weren't afraid to speak their minds, they all had something in common, and that was the support and love of a sisterhood.

I am certainly not saying that someone can't be all of these things without joining a sorority, but for me it just seemed like the right decision. I had a few close friends who were already part of a sisterhood and they encouraged me to rush, so there I was in a meeting with strangers going through the same process of searching for a home away from home. We went from room to room meeting all of these wonderful people and learning about their personal experiences and stories, but there was always one group that just stuck with me. They were so genuine, they knew who they were looking for, they held you to a standard, but they made you feel wanted and respected. They seemed to have a real interest in who I was and what I was about, which made me want to know more about them. They changed my view on sororities and the negative light I had viewed them in. There was absolutely nothing typical about these girls, and that's how I came to choose my home.

When I received my bid I was as nervous as I was excited. This was the beginning of my new adventure, and I had no idea what I was doing, all I knew was that I was doing it. The girl next to me received and accepted a bid from the same sisterhood, and two years later she is my bestfriend in the whole world. The girls I didn't get to meet until initiation, the same girls I would spend the next six weeks pledging and bonding with, I would trust them with my life. The girls that I now call sisters are exactly that, and I would do nothing short of anything for them. Something happens when you join a sisterhood, it's almost unexplainable. Through weeks of persevering, learning, experiencing, encouraging, struggling, and building upon one another you develop a bond that is truly unbreakable. Even when things get tough and you just want to strangle them, you'll always be there for them and you'll always love them. That's what real sisterhood is.

Hopefully if you're reading this, you're considering going through recruitment. Whether someone suggested it and you said "why not," or whether you've wanted this since before you came to college, I promise you it will be one of the best decisions of your life. If I could offer you some advice, it would be this: go into rush week with an open mind. Maybe you've had your heart set on one organization, but don't rule out the others just yet. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Really get to know the people you're about to know a little too well. Always, always, always be yourself. A sisterhood will want you for who you are, so don't give them a false impression. You owe it to yourself to be true to you and find where you really fit. Lastly, enjoy yourself. The rush experience is something you only get once, so make the most of it while you can. That being said, you can do this, and I truly hope you find your forever home.

I made my decision two years ago, and I have no regrets. My sisters are my saviors. I honestly don't know where I would be without them. I am not paying for them, I earned them by creating real friendships with genuine people. What I have in my sisterhood is something special, and I cherish the fact that it is something I will never find anywhere else. They have helped shape me into the person I am, and they've given me a foundation to lean on. Yes we can be basic, and yes we can be your typical sorority, but underneath there is so much more, and that's what I hope you find out for yourself. So good luck, ladies. Here's to the first day of the rest of your lives.

This article is dedicated to the Sisterhood of Gamma Psi at Young Harris College

FAS/AHNMW