To Be In My Shoes

To Be In My Shoes

All the steps that have led to where I am

50
To Be In My Shoes
Emily

I wouldn't really call myself a girly girl but, like most girls, I happen to love buying new shoes. Seeing a pair through the window and picturing an outfit centered around those new shoes is quite possibly, the best reason to go in and try them on.

Although I usually only wear my moccasins, converse or old navy flip flops, you never know when a girl might need a pair of red, four-inch heel, lace up booties. I will be the first to admit that I have a few too many pairs of shoes and they are just collecting dust sitting in my closet, but they have been with me through a lot. My whole life in fact.

My shoes, my first pair of shoes, probably didn't get much use as my mom would carry me around everywhere.

My shoes took my first steps with me. They probably endured a lot of falling as I couldn't catch my balance (and I still have trouble with this sometimes)

My shoes sunk into the mud after a rainy day. They tracked that mud throughout the house and got me in trouble for making a mess.

My shoes climbed to the top of the jungle gym and stood tall as I pretended to be queen.

My shoes created blisters after the 5th-grade dance.. then were kicked to the back of the closet and never worn again.

My shoes chase a new puppy around the yard. They also had their laces chewed.

My shoes were challenged to be kicked off the swings to see whose would fly higher.

My shoes were left at the edge of the pool on a sunny day.

My shoes shined entering a new school. So did everybody else's.

My shoes grew to be 5 inches tall by the 8th-grade dance. My feet were not happy with my shoes this night.

My shoes fidgeted while taking my first Regents exam.

My shoes walked me into my first job.

My shoes had the laces tugged at by the children of that job.

My shoes ran miles at the gym... just kidding, they walked.

My shoes jumped and cheered at the football games. They were also stepped on by other cheering fans.

My shoes made their way through the snow. I then had to blow dry my shoes to dry them off.

My shoes clicked and clicked to break in the new year.

My shoes danced endlessly at sweet 16 parties.

My shoes didn't protect me when I broke my foot.

My shoes became 'my shoe' as I was on crutches.

My shoes passed my road test. Then they drove my friends around for countless ice cream and lunch dates.

My shoes swept me off my feet with my first love.

My shoes walked through the hallways making final memories.

My shoes escorted me to Prom. I learned my lesson here and went with flat shoes.

My shoes carried me across the stage at graduation.

My shoes got buried in the sand.

My shoes were tucked under my bed as I lay in bed with strep.

My shoes tip-toed into the house at 3 AM.

My shoes walked the streets of New York City as a tourist for the day.

My shoes have to fight now to decide who can come with me to college and who must stay home.

Now you know where my shoes have taken me. They have helped me climb to the top of the world and comfort me when I was low. They have walked, skipped, ran and hiked me throughout life and will continue to do so as I endure the next chapter.

Where have your shoes taken you?