The 5 Most Influential Albums I've Ever Listened To

The music that has moved me to and through tears

64

I begin this article by thanking everyone for opening up and sharing their personal experiences with music for my previous article. Because of all your personal responses I've felt inspired to compile my own list of music that has moved me throughout my years of existence.

1. "Antisocialites" -Alvvays

upload.wikimedia.org

This is an album I've recently come to appreciate and love. After coping with my first major breakup, I used a lot of my extra time trying to find music I could relate to my situation. I had listened to "Antisocialites" before, but it wasn't until this time in my life when I truly related to every word in this album. I always loved how this album sounded and the groove of each of the songs; the added attention to lyrics helped me appreciate this album in whole. This has also become one of my favorites to put on in the car driving around. It's easy listening with a lighthearted feel and some special lyrics.

2. "1989" -Taylor Swift

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com

No one can deny that Taylor Swift has come out with some of the biggest pop jams in contemporary music and this album is probably the ultimate proof. I got "1989" for Christmas the year it released and the cd has been in my mom's car cd player ever since. I think this album is so important to me because of all the good memories linked with it. This album reminds me of easier times, but I feel that as I grow I'm able to relate to this album more and appreciate Taylor Swift's ability to tell a story that is universally relatable. She's absolutely my pop queen and I will forever be a Swiftie with no shame.

3. "After Laughter" -Paramore

images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com

"After Laughter" quickly became one of the most important albums I ever listened to because of its musical approach to heavier emotions. This album tackles themes like depression, loneliness, and forgiveness with easy-to-dance-to songs with amazing instrumentation. There is something so uplifting about happy-sounding music with sad lyrics. This album reminded me in some of the darker times in my life, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

4. "Hounds Of Love" -Kate Bush

upload.wikimedia.org

This is the album that helped me appreciate storytelling in music. The B side of this album is absolutely breathtaking and it is unlike anything I've heard before. Between Kate Bush's beautiful voice, production choices, and the story, this album is so unforgettable and special. Every time I hear "Hounds of Love", it's a new experience and that is what has made it one of my all-time favorite albums. The mixing on this album is theatrical and unique, truly unlike anything I've ever heard before. "Hounds of Love" has gifted me with a whole new perspective regarding how an album is created and I'm so appreciative of that.

5. "Blue" -Joni Mitchell

upload.wikimedia.org

"Blue" is the album that has always been there for me. From the time I was first introduced to it, all the way to now this album has and continues to affect me in many ways. Because of all these factors, I made sure to keep this album as sacred as possible. I only listen to "Blue" in solidarity and find it to be one of the most vital albums to healing. I'm so influenced by Joni Mitchell's words and I find her vulnerability so empowering. It was the first album I listened to where a woman was so exposed emotionally and still so strong. It taught me that releasing emotions doesn't make you weak and that by exposing feelings of depression, sadness, and fear you could expedite the healing process. I cannot thank Joni Mitchell enough for creating one of the most important albums I've ever listened to.