i had a horribly embarrassing interview, but at least it makes for a good story

And how we can learn from it.

187
https://www.instagram.com/bex.and.the.cityy/
Becca Steele

One thing I have learned is if you have not failed then you have not tried. Everyone has had a moment where they goof something up and don't get what they want. We've all had our embarrassing moments, and my most embarrassing in particular was an interview.

Let me give you the scenario: I was going out for a club, whose name shall not be mentioned, on campus and I felt pretty confident that I was going to get in. Not cocky just confident; I was wearing business casual so how could I not feel boss AF. Part of the process for going out for the club was networking and getting to know people in the room, and then later being interviewed.

Although, I was still a little shy back then I fought my way through and got to know people to make sure my name would be sprinkled across conversation if need be. Now if I was successful or not who knows? I can only assume so because I was asked to do an interview.

This is where the end begins.

There I sat, in a historic building on a vintage couch, facing three well groomed college students firing questions at me about why I chose The College, what was I majoring in, what clubs I was already involved in on campus, and etc. I had answers for nearly everything, that is until I was asked "What are your goals?"

For some out of this world reason, I choked and my mind went completely blank. What were my goals? Did I have goals? What the hell did I really want to do after I graduated? After an embarrassing two minute pause that felt like a year I tried to collect my thoughts and formulate a freaking goal.

I had nothing to offer up. I simply said, I hope to find a career in a field I am interested in and to get more involved on campus. With a quick shake of the hand and mortified smile I left the building with my mind folding over the words I had just said. Who was that person that spoke for me? It wasn't me. I am goal oriented, in fact I went home to my dorm room where my wall was covered in mini sticky notes that said in big cursive letters "GOALS".

I could not believe what had happened until I got the "Thanks for coming out, we hope you'll try again next year" email and then I knew it was true. I wasn't heartbroken over it just disappointed but that moment taught me a few things.

First, do not give your power over to others. I had nailed the application process until I had gotten to that interview I know I was intimidated by the people before me. While I knew they had to judge me I still let that get the best of me. Instead of killing it I flopped all over the place.

Second, end a bad interview with a good handshake. You may have word vomited all over the place but the last way to end on a good note or have even the smallest bit of redemption is thanking someone for their time and giving them a strong handshake. Do not offer someone a dead fish hand especially if you bombed the interview. Leave with some of your dignity.

Third, practice interview questions over and over again. It doesn't hurt to run through them with a good friend or family member who will be honest with you. You need someone to tell you if what your saying is relevant to your interview as well as if you are representing yourself in the best way possible. Collect your back pocket answers to questions you know you will be hit with.

Fourth, have goals and be able to articulate them. We all have goals we want to accomplish. Make sure that your goals are up to date with your desired path and with the person/company/club you're interviewing with. Also make sure your goals are what you want to accomplish. Looking back I can't remember my goals I had then because I didn't have a lot of passion for the direction I was headed.

Ask me my goals now and I won't shut up.