My Little Isn't Your Average Little

My Little Isn't Your Average Little

She's too young to be in college, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

124
My Little Isn't Your Average Little
Unsplash

If having a little is to be a: mentor, friend, "photographer" (you know, the one who knows exactly what angle works best for you), sister, care taker (when you're so sick and your family is not there or when you had a little too much to drink), coach, and most of all an unconditional cheerleader... then I don't think I necessarily need to be in a sorority to experience that.

Of course, I'm not trying to argue that being in a sorority is not amazing, because I'm sure it must be. The bond some of the sorority sisters form are to die for. Come on, who hasn't seen them in their cute sorority tank-tops, shorts and white converse? They look like Instagram goddesses! In my case though, the sorority life didn't choose me and I didn't choose it. And that is completely fine, because I know I'm not missing out, not one bit.

My little is 14 and she is the sweetest, cutest, most caring soul I know. I've known her since she was born and I've seen her grow into such a fine young woman. She makes me angry, but she also makes me proud. I don't see her everyday, but I know that our bond is just as valuable as any of the sorority sisters I know.

We might not be the same age (or nowhere near in age), but she's my one and only and she has my unconditional love and support. These next few years are going to be life-changing for her and even though by the time she goes to college I won't be here anymore, I will guide her through everything she needs to know. I look forward for her to experience college hunting, orientation, shopping for decorations for her dorm, first week of classes, first party, first drunken night (OK, probably by that time she must've been drunk, but a big sister can dream), first college job, first real boyfriend, first heartbreak, and so many other things!

I get it, it's not the same as having an actual little, because I didn't choose this one. But you know what, if I had to choose a little I would choose her... I mean, what's not to like? She's amazing now that she's 14, I can't imagine how amazing she'll be when she's 18.

In all the things I do, I want to wow her and make her proud. To set a good example for her to follow. But I don't want her to be just like me, I want her to be her own person, because I know she can do greater things. I want her to know that I made huge mistakes and for her to be able to learn from them. I want her to know that I am not perfect, but that I try to be the best I can be.

This life adventure wouldn't be the same without my little and even though I didn't choose her, I thank my parents for creating a little that fits so well with this big.