My Life-Changing Journey

My Life-Changing Journey

The story of how going halfway across the world helped me to meet my sweetest friends and how it changed my life forever.

85
My Life-Changing Journey
Cynthia Bowers

To the girls in Uganda that changed my life,

This summer I had the opportunity to go on a mission trip to Kampala, Uganda to work with the Sozo Children Orphanage. I want to thank the Sozo Children Orphanage for the opportunity I was given to work with this amazing group of people and for making me realize my calling in missions. Before I even begin, I want to encourage you to look into the Sozo Children Orphanage Organization as they are in the process of fundraising and building new homes for their children.

No words can express my heart for Africa, or for the women of the orphanage and village of Kampala. To the girls of Uganda that just blew my mind, you most likely know my story and you have experienced my humor and way of loving people. You know that I commend anyone for being different. I was seen as "weird," "strange”, and I was just plain "misunderstood"! I proceeded to tell my mother how I felt and the only words I had to tell her was, "My poor,little brain just doesn't think like theirs!" Being me is all I could do to cope with my differences.

To that beautiful, amazing, willing to listen girl, I told you my favorite quote is by Ralph Waldo Emerson. He once said, "Is it so bad, then, to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood." I began to realize this as my trip went on and talked to more and more people.

When I talked to those girls in Africa, I realized I was just as different as them. They all had stories. Some refused to share and others were quick to share. Unfortunately, I can't share their stories. Let’s just say, the reality of life is not always fun, fair, and simple. Life is bumpy and these girls have shown me that truth.

To the sweet girl that I told my story to and she wrote me a letter before I left, you have no idea how you have impacted me. This sweet girl by whose name I cannot name wrote me this: “Hey, I just can’t express my love to you, but I know my actions have shown my love for you. I am going to miss you and I just want to tell you that your story and everything we talked about really touched me. Just keep in mind that God loves you and he cares for you. It does not matter what people may say or think about you. JUST BE YOURSELF! Be proud of who you are because God can use you to make a difference in many people's lives. I will be your friend forever. I will remember you always.". Now ladies and gentlemen, that is a sermon in itself.

Just when you think you are being sent over to help someone else, they impact you more. Remember, I was that shy, timid, mad at the world, depressed, little lady. That changed a long time ago and you helped change me more because right then I felt a love I never felt before. I felt accepted. I was able to open up and really feel connected with you, sweet and precious girl.

To the girl I met that was mistreated, I know how that feels, and I told you my story of hurt. We connected with each other the moment we met. You singled me out, gave me the biggest hug, and said, “I love you and I am so glad you are here.” Girl, I love you so much and I feel you were my reason for this whole trip to Africa. It took thousands of miles but I made one of the best friendships a girl could ever ask for. Now, sponsoring you is the best decision I have ever made.

Now to the people reading this, take my experience or leave it but, I pray my story inspires you to go out into the world and make disciples of all nations. Whether its by sponsoring a child, actually traveling thousands of miles to a foreign country or donating to the Sozo children and other similar organizations.I love how one story can open up a conversation or a new friendship just like that.

Now back to my girls, when I talked with all of you my mood changed. That's how I coped with my anxieties, through the friendships I built from the simple message of being different. We are all different in our own little way so just embrace it. Also, remember Sozo means to save, and you are most definitely saved by the most amazing king this world has ever known. I love you, my girls of Uganda.