There Is Such A Thing As An Extroverted Introvert, Take It From Me

I can be very independent and outgoing, but only when I choose to be.

476
Unsplash

We all go through our lives experiencing different types of people, and striving to discover who we are as an individual. Although finding our true selves can be an eternal quest, it is an ultimate goal in life.

Society is known to label people, and force us to feel that we need to fit one image, but we should not be pressured into defining ourselves as just one thing.

People commonly classify themselves as an introvert or an extrovert. Introverts are reserved, nervous, and focus solely on their internal feelings. On the other hand, extroverts are talkative, outgoing, and assertive. It is believed that someone can just be one or the other.

In actuality, both of these characteristics can work hand in hand, therefore creating extroverted introverts and introverted extroverts.

Personally, I am an extroverted introvert.

In a lot of situations, I am the person who keeps to myself. I tend to only share personal stories and feelings with the people closest to me, and I struggle in environments that I have never been in. I even depend on others in many ways.

At the same time, I can be very independent and outgoing, but only when I choose to be.

The way that these qualities correlate for me, is that I am only an extrovert in situations that I am used to, or if I have someone close to me by my side. I can only be independent when I have enough confidence to do so, which does not come easily to me.

Having an introverted side to me holds me back at times. I find myself missing out on things that I could do, just because it will be new, or because I would be with people I didn't know.

But, my extroverted side gives me an advantage by being warm and open once I am content.

I sure am proud of who I am, but I certainly work on improving myself each and every day. I sometimes wish that I would be the person who thrives in every aspect of life, but I assume that many others feel the same way.

I hope to one day be unreliable on others, to be my own person without the impact of others. I hope to confidently form new relationships without worrying about what others may think of me. I hope to be comfortable enough to walk into a room full of strangers fearlessly.

Above all, I hope to be fiercely independent, and effortlessly confident.