Dear Society

Dear Society

"I have grown to loathe you..."

756
Dear Society
genius group.xyz

This is an open letter to today's society. The multitude of headlines that I see as an effect of societal influences is disheartening. I chose to write this to address the effects of negative portrayal of the effects of our society on young people, and most of all young girls and women. Too many people fall victim to the wrath of society today and I want nothing more than to address the things that people feel is not okay to say. Though this may seem like more of an angry rant, I feel as though it is necessary to draw attention to things that young kids have not even realized they have fallen victims to. With that being said, this is for you, Society.

Dear Society, I have grown to loathe you.Though I love my country, I can't say the same about you, society. I know what you are thinking...Yes I know I am a member, just as we all are, but that will never be something I am proud of.

Dear Society, You have destroyed the hearts of more young girls than boys ever will. You have made them believe that there is only one kind of beautiful. You make them feel inadequate and worthless. You tell them they aren't skinny enough, they aren't pretty enough, they aren't tall enough. You are relentless aren't you? You tell them that they are wrong for simply being themselves. This mass destruction of confidence and worthiness is often overlooked because nobody wants to be on the opposite end of your judgement.

Dear Society, I am no fan of yours. I have been dodging your bullets since grade three. You are the cause of so many cases of self destruction. It is chilling to think you have such a grip on young people that they result to extreme measures such as eating disorders, dangerous fad diets, enhancement drugs, and in some cases, even suicide.

Dear Society, I have one question for you: Are you proud? Proud that everyday people die trying to satisfy your standards, but let's be honest nobody ever will. Who are you to determine what is beautiful? Who are you to judge? Kids are so scared of your wrath that they defend themselves with bullying.

Dear Society, you are a plague to our nation. I will never apologize for not meeting your standards. You sexualize and objectify girls, and women in the media portraying that 'sexy' is the only way to be beautiful. The world just hides in silence to avoid your retaliation.

Dear Society, I hope that you are happy. I hope that one day you step back and asses the damage you have caused. Though I know you will always exist, I want you to know that you are no friend of mine and you are not appreciated.