My First Week As A Tarleton Texan

My First Week As A Tarleton Texan

DON'T WALK ON THE GRASS!

40
My First Week As A Tarleton Texan
Me

Being a first time college student is an entirely new experience. In this week long span I have lived in two dorms, not driven my car, and been scared out of mind into not walking on the grass.

I am taking classes with people I have never seen before, which is a large change from the 122 people I graduated with that I've known since kindergarten. There are roughly 13,000 students this fall semester, a little over 2,000 are incoming freshmen. My class happens to be the largest in Tarleton's history. I could meet someone new everyday and never meet everyone, let alone remember their names, and TSU is in the small/middle size section of public universities.

I am now living in a dorm that's newly "finished". This is the second dorm I have moved into since move in day here. The new Honors Dorms were not suitable for moving into when we were supposed to move in so we all lived in upperclassmen on-campus apartments for a few days. After the rooms were finished well enough for us to move in to we finally got to move in to our actual dorms. Outside of the construction still going on outside the building it is starting to feel like home.

On top of all of this you do not, under any circumstances, step on the grass. Unless of course you just enjoy being tackled like the scrawny kid on the high school football team by one of the Purple Poo. The ashes of John Tarleton were spread across campus so out of respect we do not walk on the grass. Which is cool because all of the traditions here are one of a kind and make this place even better.

Also, parking is a myth. There is no parking. It does not exist, and if you are lucky enough to find a parking spot, you do not move your car in fear of loosing a parking spot forever. Just walk or find someone else who doesn't mind driving and losing their parking spot. I for one have been parked in the same front row parking spot for exactly a week.

Regardless of all of the craziness of moving twice in less than a week, all the great traditions, and the overwhelming amount of new people there is no where else I would rather call my new home.