My First EDM Experience

My First EDM Concert

I was fortunate enough to cross something off my bucket list last night. I hope my experience can open your mind to listening a new genre, or fall in love with it all over again.

29
scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram.com

It all started nine years ago.

It is safe to say that I have been blessed with a family that loves music. From Hank Jr., to Stevie Wonder I have listened to it all. It was not until I was 15 did i start to branch out and start searching for music that was not popular. I just sought something different. Growing up on the classics made me appreciate music for what it was, and I needed to add another level of diversity. Finding EDM, or techno music, or whatever you want to call the genre opened my ears to so many new sounds. Going to a full out EDM concert seemed so far fetched in my mind for years, and I finally got the opportunity to see the show I have been dreaming about.

ODEZA with Jai Wolf

These names may seem foreign to you, and thats perfectly okay. The popularity of the EDM scene in the south is a slowly rising monster. It has grown as the music industry does, but It has hit home with college students. Between the heart pounding base, and Hollywood grade lighting ODEZA will take you to a different planet.

They were not a name that was constantly crossing my shuffle. I knew some of their most popular songs, but I had not had a chance to dig into their music. I knew enough that it was a show worth seeing, and so when the opportunity presented itself, we jumped at it. It was also super convenient because the show was in my hometown. My boyfriend, his friend, and myself loaded up on a Tuesday night to go let off some steam and listen to some good tunes.

Jai Wolf was everything that I expected him to be. He did a great job opening for ODEZA and he left the right vibes when he exited the stage. This isn't music that you can really sing along to. It is more of a feeling. It is very easy to tell what kind of vibe the artist is putting off by his first few songs. He played a good mix of slow and fast.

ODEZA blew my mind. The lights were almost the best part. The way they matched the rhythm of the music was absolutely mesmerizing. The show was at an amphitheater, and that made things that much better. The volume was at the perfect level to draw you in and pay attention to every note.

To see that many people dancing to the same rhythm was amazing. The way everyone came together and focused on the music was like something I have never seen before. Seeing that many people from so many different backgrounds be in one place and be truly happy gave me a little bit more faith in people. It is a harsh world these days, and finding something that will take you out of reality for three minutes is almost essential to keep your sanity.

Yes, it my seem like "weed smoking" music to some. But if you have any itch to step out of your comfort zone and find new music, DO IT. I understand that this music is so different compared to what is played on the radio. Throwing some new music on your playlist is always a good thing. So I encourage you to check them out! ODEZA and Jai Wolf are two bands that really embody EDM, in my opinion and I hope you can come to respect them, as well!

Click on the link to diversify your ears.

https://youtu.be/HdzI-191xhU