To My First Best Friend, My Brother

To My First Best Friend, My Brother

My little brother, my very best friend.

294
To My First Best Friend, My Brother
Faith McDonald

People can describe their best friends a lot of different ways. Some look at them as the person they spend all of their time with, while others view them as someone they don't see often but can pick up right where they left off- even if they haven't seen them in years. A best friend is " A person who you value above other friends in your life, someone you have fun with, someone you trust and someone in whom you confide."

No matter how you value the word, I hope you all have one. I have had several friends come and go throughout my lifetime, and I have had some who have been around since elementary school or middle school. However, the older I get, the more I realize that my one true best friend is my little brother.

No matter how close I get to my school or work friends, my brother is the only one who truly knows the real me. He doesn't just see the pretty side, the face I put on while I'm in public, he sees the ugly side, too. He has held me while I was bawling my eyes out, telling my friends I was fine. He watched me eat more than a the entire offensive line could eat. He has seen me in my raging fits whenever something goes wrong with my hair or makeup. He has seen me in my facial or acne masks. The best part of it, he has seen it all but still loves me, unconditionally. He holds me while I cry, makes me more food when I'm on a binge and knows to avoid me whenever I'm mad at my hair or makeup. Although I could kill him sometimes, I would kill for him whenever I needed to.

Of course, we fight, we have knock down, drag out, wrestling matches on the living room floor and we give each other silent treatments for days at a time. Even when he is mad at me, I know that I can depend on him to do anything for me. Now, as we're getting older, he asks for my advice (and occasionally listens to it). He really cares what I think, because he knows I only want what is best for him. That also works both ways, he tells me the painful truth when he needs to, and even though it will make me mad at that certain point in time, I'm glad I listened to him in the end.

I don't know what I would do without my little brother, he really is my one true best friend and the first one I ever had. We may not play rock wars and pretend we're on the show "Survivor" like we did when we were little, but we keep those memories and make new ones. No matter what happens or how we grow up, my little brother will always be my best friend and I am very thankful that God chose him to be my sibling.