My Favorite Snacks

My Favorite Snacks

Hungry? Don't know what to make? Don't have time for a sit down dinner? I've got you covered!

366
My Favorite Snacks
Google Images

If you know me at all, you know I love food. I eat A LOT during the day, however I aim to keep it healthy so when I do indulge, I don't feel bad about it. This allows me a little snacking "wiggle room." So I've included some of my healthier snacks and ones that I like to treat myself to! And because i work five days a week, I pack a lunch every day; so I've become pretty well versed in packing delicious food to eat when you're on the go! I thought I'd share with you my top picks so you can try them at home, in the car, at work, or wherever and whenever you don't have time for a sit down meal!

1. Smoothies

Smoothies are absolutely fabulous. You can pack a lot of nutrition in them, along with loads of flavors. I like to make mine with one whole banana, five strawberries, two large spoonfuls of peanut butter, three cubes of ice, a splash of orange juice and about a 1/4 cup of milk. If I'm in a hurry, I cut up the fruit ahead of time so that I can just toss it in my Magic Bullet and add the peanut butter, milk, OJ and ice last minute. It's cutting the fruit that takes the most time! Try making a smoothie on the go with your favorite fruit!

2. Trail mix

I have to be in the mood for trail mix because nuts don't always sound super appetizing to me. However, I like to throw together my own trail mix when I get the chance. I like peanuts, dried cherries, almonds and chocolate chips. Switch it up and make your own trail mix with your favorite nuts!

3. Popcorn

I LOVE popcorn. This certainly isn't one of the healthier snacks, but it sure is good. I personally like the brand Pop Secret with extreme butter, for when my stove top isn't available. But when I'm home, the BEST popcorn is made with a good old-fashioned Whirly Pop. Pour in some vegetable oil and popcorn kernels and stir while they pop! I like to melt butter and drizzle it on and add salt when it's fresh out of the pan. Nothing like the sound of sizzling butter on hot popcorn, not to mention the smell. Yummy!

4. Cheese

Another unhealthier snack, whoops. But I love cheese, and it is a good source of calcium. Cheese on things or by itself is never a disappointment. Cheese and crackers, queso dip (or any dip), or just a plain old slice of classic cheddar. I like to pack cheese slices with salami and Triscuits so I can stack it all up and enjoy! If there's cheese, I'm in.

5. Tuna

Tuna is great for a quick, lean boost of protein. When I go to work, I mix up a can of tuna with a bit of light mayo and add fresh cracked black pepper. I don't recommend adding salt to anything involving tuna because it's already a very salty fish. And, depending on how you eat it, there could be salt in whatever else you have with it! You can eat it right out of the can, or I like to take my tuna mix and spread it on Original Triscuits. It's a delicious snack with less carbs and sugar than putting the tuna on bread, and it'll get you full, fast! And let's be real, anything is good on a Triscuit!

5. Plain, raw fruits and veggies

Sometimes I forget how great a sliced orange tastes! A bag of cherries in the summer is always a perfect snack. And bananas are great on the go by themselves, or a treat to eat with peanut butter, or chocolate for a dessert. Carrot sticks, celery, broccoli, grape tomatoes and cucumber are all delicious and nutritious things you can wash and cut ahead of time. These are awesome to snack on, minus the guilt!

6. Prosciutto

This is a salty, thinly sliced piece of ham. It's an Italian meat that pairs great with a huge variety of things. I like to eat it plain, with cheese and crackers, or as a side with olives. Many people love prosciutto wrapped melon if you like salty and sweet! It's a very versatile snack that you can make your own!

7. Bars

These can be tricky because granola bars or protein bars are often very high in sugar. So make sure to look at the nutrition facts when you buy! There's a huge variety of flavors to choose from, so you're sure to find something that fits your fancy. I like the brand Pure Protein because it's only got 2 grams of sugar!

8. Cheez-It's and/or Goldfish

'Nuff said. These little squares and fish are nothing short of addictive. Get them in original, white cheddar, Parmesan or even Tabasco! You can't go wrong. They are just TOO good. Try your best to eat them in moderation because they basically offer your body nothing, but I know, the urge to keep eating will remain every present.

9. Peanut butter and rice cakes

Grab a jar of peanut butter and a bag of rice cakes for a light and delicious snack. Spread the peanut butter on the rice cake and you've got a crunchy treat. I love peanut butter on just about anything; it's a good boost of protein and the taste is great!

10. Omelettes

I love making omelettes for myself! They are a larger snack though, more like a meal replacement for when you don't have time to make pasta, or chicken, or whatever. Omelettes are good for you and easy to make to your own liking. I like to cut up a slice of bacon, tomato, a piece of ham, and a handful of chopped arugula and sauté with a little butter, olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder. While that sauté, I shred some cheddar cheese (leave this on the side) and mix up two eggs. Put the eggs in a large saucepan until they are almost solidified and then add your toppings on one half. Fold and flip it until it's cooked through. Now just put it on a plate and sprinkle on that cheese on and enjoy! It's sure to keep you full for hours. If you know you'll be in a hurry, chop and bag whatever toppings you want ahead of time!

11. Oatmeal

Some people want to yack at the thought of oatmeal, and I used to be one of them. But I've come to look forward to starting my day, or whenever I get hungry, with Quaker's single serve packets of maple brown sugar oatmeal. I personally prefer adding a bit of extra milk so that it's less chunky after microwaving. But that's not all, it tastes awesome with peanut butter stirred in, or I know some people like to add dried fruit, nuts or other toppings. Give oatmeal a shot and you might find this is a quick, easy and healthy snack that you didn't realize you liked so much!