My Experience With Dream Incubation

My Experience With Dream Incubation

I recommend taking the time to reflect on your dreams!

33
My Experience With Dream Incubation
https://www.pexels.com/photo/backlit-blur-close-up-dawn-279467/
I've always been fascinated by dreams. My best friend and I always tell each other about our dreams, and then we unpack what we think they could mean. When I was a child, I had this recurring dream about falling through insulation in my closet that led me to a dungeon. When I was in the dungeon, I was given a cookie, and then I had to make my way through a maze. When I reached the end, there was a huge monster who demanded that I give him the cookie, but I never wanted to give it to him. I always woke up just as he was about to attack me. When I think about where this dream may have come from, I remember a story that my dad told me about falling through the insulation in his attic. Since then, the thought of falling (particularly through a roof) scared me, so my brain may have rewired that somehow to create the dream.

Dream incubation was a cool experience for me! I wonder if anyone else's dreams were as weird as mine. It's interesting to think about how quickly the memory of dreams disappears if we don't take the time to write them down. I dreamt that I was taking a trip to Israel with my best friend Julia, but the decision to go was super spontaneous. I didn't have time to pack much, and, for whatever reason, I didn't have shoes on my feet! Once we got on the plane, I realized that I didn't pack my anxiety medication, and I was really nervous about my ability to cope with the trip ahead without them. I started crying on the plane, and Julia asked me what was wrong. I told her that I was crying happy tears because I was so excited to be going on the trip with her, and then she started crying, too. This dream is really reflective of reality for me because anxiety is something that I've struggled with for many years. I'm sometimes hesitant to open up about it because I know a lot of people don't understand mental illness if they haven't been through it themselves. The interaction in the dream seems like something that could very well happen. (Except the shoes thing...that was weird.) I sometimes fantasize that my fight with anxiety is over just because I've already been through the worst of it. But my dream helped me to realize that it's something that will always be a part of my life, and that's okay. It isn't always easy, but I have coping mechanisms. Spending these moments reflecting has been been helpful with my anxiety. I don't always take enough time for myself because I'm so focused on schoolwork, and it's been a very grounding experience.