personal feminism

My Definition of Feminism

Let's stop tearing each other down.

103
Personal photo
Anna Frederick

When scrolling through social media or watching television, I often see stories of many different working women: CEOs, teachers, police officers, nannies, and many, many more. I was fortunate enough to be raised with the mindset, resources, and support system to become whoever I want to be. This is a very personal choice, and I feel very grateful to be able to make this decision for myself.

While figuring out what I want to do with my life, I've seen many other women struggle to do the same. And yes, I mean struggle. Although women are more empowered, we face harsher criticism for our choices, especially from one another. I think now more than ever we need to recognize what feminism means.

Women express their ideas of feminism in all different and all equally beautiful ways. However, I think it is important to recognize the similarity that ties all of these expressions together: women empowerment. I personally believe that feminism is about equality for women, but also advocating for each other. I believe that feminism is about supporting all women in their personal endeavors to become whoever they want to be.

When I was younger and heard the word feminism, I thought of a woman wearing a navy pantsuit who holds the top position in her office. Is this picture wrong? Absolutely not. But, what I have learned is that the picture expands much larger than this. It also includes the teachers, chefs, saleswomen, senators, artists and so many more. To me, being a feminist means supporting the idea that a woman can hold any position she works for.

There is one important job I haven't touched on, which I personally think is the most beautiful form of feminism: motherhood. Now, this is a very personal opinion, not every woman wants to have children. But I have seen a lot of judgment thrown at mothers, whether they are stay-at-home moms or have another job or career. Moms are some of the most hardworking people I've ever seen and I think every woman should be given credit for what she has chosen to do. Nothing you want or have to work for comes easy.

As women, let's support each other. We all have different aspirations and that's part of what makes our fight so beautiful. No matter what we want to do, let's help each other get there.