My Current School, Was Not Always My Number One School.

It wasn't my number one school, but it turned out to be the best school and a great school.

166
Stevenson University Flickr

Junior year of high school was so stressful, but yet so exciting. One more year and then you get to leave high school and it was about that time to start looking into colleges. I had my heart set on going to the University of Rhode Island. I loved everything about it. The scenery, the beautiful campus, the fact that it was a big school and I could get to know a lot of people there and do a lot of things. Before I even applied I already pictured myself there. A factor I forgot to count in though, was the other school I would be applying to.

Senior year came and so did all the acceptance letters. I had applied to around 8/9 different schools, but still my "dream" school was the only one I cared about. I took my moms advice though and decided to check out at least two other schools, one in Connecticut, the other in Maryland. The one in Connecticut was ok it wasn't the best, but the offered me a little over half of what tuition is so I figured it couldn't hurt to check it out. The one in Maryland was an experience I'll never forget.

We arrived at Stevenson University for accepted students day and already I could tell that it was a small school, but one that looked like a lot of fun. They had so many students there to welcome you and talk with you, whether it be residential related or academic related. Any questions that I had or my parents had there was a booth for someone to answer them. We took a tour after all the speeches ended and every student we passed said hello, everyone held a door for you, and just about everyone had a smile on their face. They made me feel so welcomed and so at home. After the day was over we got into the car, I looked over at my mom and said "I think this is the school for me." She answered back in shock because she thought I was set on URI. Attending Stevenson University was probably the best decision I have ever made.

Being here I have done so much and accomplished so much. I have joined so many clubs, met so many new people, got over my fear of public speaking, lost 50+ pounds, changed my whole life style, gained so many leadership positions, accomplished so much academically, and have had so many amazing opportunities and experiences that have truly made me grow as a person. Stevenson is a small school, but that is what is great about it. Anywhere you walk on campus you'll see somebody you know. You have the close relationships with your professors and even the staff.

Sometimes I wonder what my life would be like right now if I went to URI instead. Would I have accomplished at least half of these things? Would I still be the shy girl that tried to hide from everyone? Would I have been happy where I am and who I am today? I guess I'll never know the opportunities that I could've had going to URI, but it doesn't really matter to me. I am happy with the way my life is going. I am happy with how much progress I have made and will continue to make. Stevenson wasn't always my dream school, but it is now. Just because something was not your first option, doesn't mean it can't be the perfect fit for you.