My College Experience Thus Far

My College Experience Thus Far

Experience Combined With Thoughts
15

Since college is starting back up again very shortly, I figured it’d be a good time to share my experience and thoughts now that I’ve survived a few years of college. College was something very new to me, however, I feel that I am managing the change pretty well. When I first arrived to college, I was a little leery. New surroundings can cause one to have a difficult time adjusting to all the changes. I have been and still am a resident at my college, which is a pretty big change for me. You see, I was raised in a tiny home with very strict parents. So it was very hard for me to make friends even while I lived at home. My parents never let any of my friends come into my house, and as much as I would like to say that it never hindered a friendship, unfortunately it hindered almost all of them. Fearing that my life will repeat itself at college, I find it quite hard to make friends because I do not know how to keep them. For me this has been one of my downfalls in college so far. I am not the best at making new friends because I do not always know how to communicate properly. Having friends to help support one another is important. College can become very stressful at times, and that is when those friends come in handy. With time I hope to improve my social skills, and be able to become more acquainted with others.

My residency on campus has been good thus far. I enjoy the campus’ scenery. It is a very friendly and peaceful campus. I feel that most of the people there are willing to help me if I need it. Since I do not have many friends on campus, sometimes I leave campus to visit with old friends. While seeing old friends makes me happy and all, I would still like to be able to have more friends on campus. I enjoy almost everything that college has brought to my life. There is always someone willing to step aside with you and give you the proper help you need if you just look for them. College gives you a sense of independence, which I like. The way I see it, is if you remain focused on your work and your dreams, you are going to strive to make those dreams a reality.

I have not only met my expectations, but I have went a little beyond them in some areas. In high school, I never really gave myself enough credit. For some reason I always tend to think less of myself. Even though I have gone beyond what I thought I could, I still feel that I need to improve in more areas, and yes writing is one of them. (it’s okay to laugh). I feel like I can try to make better study habits, get a better at planning, and push myself even further. Who knows maybe I’ll surprise myself yet again.

Personally, I feel that I do not need much help at the present moment in time, however, that could change. There always comes a time when you’ll need help and I never will forget that. I’ve learned that meeting with one’s adviser is very important, to make sure you stay on track. The past years that I have been in college has gone pretty well. I expected it to be a lot different than it was. However, I am proud of the way I managed my time and studies. I believe that it is very important to stay ahead of the game in case something goes wrong. That way you have time to potentially fix it before the deadline. Don’t get me wrong though you will lose track at some point and will have to hurry things a lot to meet a deadline, but I’ve learned that it’s all about balance.

So without further ado, my overall experience has been pretty cool and I cannot wait to see what is in store for me next.