My Best of 2017

My Best of 2017

From music to books to beauty products, here is what I loved in 2017!

158
My Best of 2017
Jenna Schmidt

What would a year be without music? When I look back on this past year there are two songs that were on my most played list! One came out a few years ago and the other was a track that came out this year. When I look back on 2017 these are the songs that come to mind.

There Will Be A Time by Mumford and Sons Feat. Baaba Maal

Like Gold by Vance Joy

So this is a loaded topic. I mean I have favorite drinks at every coffee shop I go to. However, there were three ways I fell in love with my coffee in 2017.

How I drink my coffee at home: Starbucks House Blend (K-cup), brewed for 8oz + whole milk + a tablespoon of honey.

My favorite local coffee shop drink: A maple latte at The Harbinger (see my favorite places for 2017).

My favorite Starbucks Drink: Venti Iced Coffee + Coconut Milk + Sugar Free Cinnamon Dulce Syrup + (I like it with or without the Classic Syrup!).

I could not write a "best of 2017" list without including some of my favorite books. Thinking back on this year there were two books that stood out the most to me. Big surprise here, they are both Young Adult novels!

All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven

All I can say is I am still heartbroken from this book. I could not read for at least a week, because I had to process what happened. Finch is one of the most dynamic characters I have ever read. If you're looking for a book that will make you cry, this is for you.

I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios

I was introduced to this book in my YA Lit. class and fell in love with the characters. Demetrios talks about a topic not focused on in YA fiction, PTSD from war. This teen romance novel is much more than a "romance". Each character carries so much depth that the book steps outside the cliches of romance novels.

I cannot do either of these books justice. I am awful at putting into words how I feel about books, but I promise they are both beyond worth the read!

Byta Tumbler in Himalayan Pink

This tumbler is my favorite cup from 2017. It's the perfect size for your morning coffee and it's super light weight, which I love! their mission is to "help rid the world of 500 billion," yes billion(!), "disposable cups produced a year".

Himalayan Salt Lamp

Thanks to my friend Lauren's mom, I'm 100% on the salt lamp band wagon. After having a himalayan salt lamb in my room for two nights, my allergies have cleared up and I feel more energized in the mornings!

Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation

Ladies, this is the best foundation I have ever used! Yes, ever! The Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation is perfect for oily/combination skin. I don't find myself having to blot my face throughout the day. It lasts all day, your skin won't absorb the foundation! Plus, it doesn't rub off on boys...could you ask for anything better?

"Serious" Conditioner by S Factor

If you have color treated hair or are trying to grow your hair out, this hair treatment is for you! I adore the S Factor "Serious" Conditioning treatment. I use it about once a week and it makes my hair feel soft and look healthy! I have an oily scalp and it doesn't add an extra build up. I 10/10 recommend this product!

Lillian & Co. Bracelets

I fell in love with these bangles from the moment I laid eyes on them. Lillian & Co. is a small shop that started making Disney bangles, but the business has expanded their merchandise and even carries watches. I think these are such a cute personalized bracelet. I also love Mantra Bands too!

Crown Cosmetics Rose Gold Pro Makeup Brushes

Y'all, these make up brushes are the absolute best. I've tried It Cosmetics brushes, MAC brushes, Real Techniques brushes, the list could go on. However, these inexpensive brushes are the best I have ever used.

Coco Chanel Mademoiselle Perfume

My all time favorite perfume. Coco Chanel Mademoiselle was the perfume I found myself reaching for the most.

Ember Ceramic Coffee Mug

Attention coffee lovers! This mug, although pricey, is the best investment I have made for my coffee addiction. The Ember Coffee Mug keeps your coffee warm by adjusting the mug's temperature to meet your preferred temp! You can adjust the mug's temp. from an app on your phone. Say goodbye to cold coffee, y'all! Sorry, Ed Sheeran! 10/10 recommend that song too!

Holy Bible NKJV Journal Edition (Bible Journal)

I fell in love with Bible Journaling in 2017. I think it's such an interactive way to focus on important passages or your favorite verses! One of my New Years resolutions is to focus on reading the Bible more! This is the journal I own!

The Harbinger Cafe

If you live in the Charleston, SC area and are looking for a small and homey coffee shop this is the place to be. From the moment my friend Lauren took me into The Harbinger, I felt welcome and fell in love. The Maple Lattes are an A+ and if you have a sweet tooth grab one of their baked goods. They also have healthy (+ vegan) lunches that are amazing!

Orange Spot Coffee

One of the cutest and trendiest coffee shops near Charleston, Orange Spot has some great espresso! The bright colored wallpaper, the quiche, the cute iron chairs, the coffee...the list could go on. Thanks to my friend Becca, I now drop in their often and it's one of my favorite places for coffee dates!

"Sunrise Park"

My favorite place to be in Charleston x100. This park, hidden in James Island, is the best view of the Charleston harbor. From the dock and small beach you can see Patriots point, White Point Gardens, the Sullivan's Island Lighthouse, and the Cooper River Bridge!

Magic Kingdom

I went to Disney a lot this year, probably too much. However, Magic Kingdom became like my second home. I've never felt a 100% free to be myself in a place, but Magic Kingdom is that place for me. The moment I walk through the entrance my heart fills with joy. I could spend a whole day just sitting in the park!

2017 was the year my best friend from elementary school, Shana, had her sweet baby girl--who became my sweet goddaughter! Rae, you have the biggest piece of my heart and I can't wait to watch you grow!

2017 was the year I got to watch my favorite hockey team make it to the Kelly Cup Finals (again)! And although we didn't win (again haha), it was such an incredible run and the games were filled with the best memories with my favorite people. I also got to watch a team lift the cup, which was bittersweet. Even though it wasn't the South Carolina Stingrays, it was still cool to see the cup be presented. Maybe one day it will be presented to us..."let's go Rays!"

Disney held three special memories in 2017 for me. The spring break trip with my sweet friend Lauren! Chummy, thank you so much for taking me with you! Hopefully, we will be there for 2018's spring break too! I then took my first true summer trip to Disney with my dad. One of the best times ever, but boy was it hot. A new level of hot. I cannot say I will be going in the summer anytime soon. However, it was the first time I had gone with my dad since I was 13 and I'll never forget how much of a big kid he was. Lastly, I went to my first Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party in December! If you know anything about Disney World, you know this is a big deal. The most magical place during the most magical time of the year is the absolute best. I cannot wait to be back for another December trip!

Overall, 2017 held some amazing memories, places, things, books, and music I will cherish forever! Hopefully, 2018 will hold much more!