Muslim Women Are Breaking All The Stereotypes By Competing In Beauty Pageants

Muslim women are bringing in diversity to traditional old-fashioned beauty pageants.

482
Fashionista

Beauty pageants have been around for a long time and everyone has their own opinions regarding them. Some view them to be an exploitation of women and others simply consider them to be a platform for women to showcase their talents. Beauty pageants are not often as open and exclusive as some may think, in order to compete one must meet certain criteria and guidelines. When it comes to Muslim women who wear the hijab people are quick to judge them based on their physical appearance. Despite everything in the media, these Muslim women are headstrong; they are breaking down old traditions and are implementing diversity in pageants all across the world.

Last year, Halima Aden, 20, became the first hijabi to participate in the Miss Minnesota pageant. Although, she didn't win, she went on to signing multiple modeling contracts securing brands such as Fenty Beauty, Nike, and Yeezy. Aden also became the first woman in a hijab to be featured on the cover of Allure magazine which later became cover of the year.

Aden has influenced many young Muslim girls to follow their dreams and part take in beauty pageants themselves. Following in her footsteps is, Shayma Shafici, 19, from the UK. Shafici entered Miss Earth England but was reluctant to do so due to the bikini segment. The bikini segment of a beauty pageant may not seem controversial to many people, however, in the Muslim religion where women value modesty it creates a sense of reluctance to participate. After speaking with the director of the pageant, Shafici was relieved to know that she would be allowed to wear whatever she felt comfortable in.

Along with Shafici, Muna Jama, 27, from East London also felt reluctant about participating in a beauty pageant because of the bikini segment. Jama was selected as a finalist for Miss Universe; for the bikini round she chose to wear a kaftan. Her choice of clothing for this specific portion of the pageant made headlines worldwide. Jama stated: "I just wanted to have the opportunity to allow organizations to welcome diversity" when asked about her intentions on what encouraged her to take part in the pageant. She also stated: "People are often guilty of assuming someone is less religious than someone else in whatever religion because of the way they dress or the way they look."

Many Muslim girls are influenced by women like Halima Aden and Muna Jama who are creating a breakthrough in standard beauty pageants by bringing in their diversity. The media has created a false perception of what Muslim women are like and these young women are breaking all stereotypes. According to Abdush-Shahid, founder of Miss Muslimah, a beauty pageant created for Muslim women of all ages, "It is our number one mission to redefine beauty standards of women in America, and to show that modesty is beautiful."