Musicals For Musical Haters

3 Musicals For Any Non-Musical Lovers

Don't moan and groan. This is the only place you will find SpongeBob, Regina George, and Elle Woods in the same place.

307
https://unsplash.com/search/photos/broadway
Unsplash

Musicals are arguably one of the most underrated forms of art there is. Some people don't like musical theatre because they don't like sitting for two or more hours just watching people on stage. However, wouldn't you sit for that long at your favorite singer's concert?

A lot of people also think people who do theatre are too "annoying" or "over the top". Speaking as a person who actively does theatre, I get that A LOT. I am proud of it. They say that musicals are always the same storyline and that they are unrelatable to everyday life.

In recent years, Broadway has come out with many hit musicals based on the stories we know and love. Theatre brings ordinary situations to brand new heights. Here are the top three that could change anyone's mind about musical theatre.

1. "Legally Blonde"

First off, who doesn't love Reese Witherspoon as Elle Woods in the movie? The musical adaptation follows the storyline from the movie. However, in the musical, I feel as though Elle's journey to become a lawyer is more noticeable. The music from the show definitely helps with that. It's high energy and all around fun! Definitely music and lyrics that any person can relate to.

The songs "Chip on my Shoulder" and "So Much Better" are the last two songs in the first act of the show. To me, they are the most important songs in the show. "Chip on my Shoulder" happens right after Elle leaves Vivian's party dressed as a Playboy bunny. Throughout the song, Emmett makes Elle realize that she can't get through Harvard Law by being a Valley Girl. She needs to put in the work in order to succeed and that Warner is in her way of proving to herself that she is more than just the "stereotypical dumb blonde".

"So Much Better" follows shortly after, and that is when Elle find out that she was one of the few chosen for the professor's internship, solidifying that all hard work pays off in the end. Elle also uses it as a time to lightly rub it into people faces, especially Warner. I mean, who wouldn't, after all of the long nights of studying?

Songs to also check out that follow Elle's story are "What You Want", "Positive", and the fan favorite "Bend and Snap".

2. "SpongeBob SquarePants"

I know what you all may be thinking. There's a "SpongeBob SquarePants" musical? Yes, there is and you need to go listen to the music from it now! It follows the story of SpongeBob SquarePants and all of his friends as they have to save Bikini Bottom from an erupting volcano within 24 hours. Of course, it features the classic "SpongeBob SquarePants" theme song and a revamped version of "Best Day Ever".

It also features new songs written by a whole bunch of artists, including John Legend, David Bowie, Brendon Urie from Panic! at the Disco, Cyndi Lauper, and Steven Tyler from Aerosmith, so you will definitely find a song or two you will love. My personal favorite is "Bikini Bottom Day" because it is the first song in the show, and it really sets the mood for the fun and adventurous Show!

3. "Mean Girls"

"So fetch!" "You go, Glenn CoCo!" "She doesn't even go here!" Those are some of the most iconic lines from the cult classic movie. These lines, along with the many other ones, are featured in the musical version of "Mean Girls". Unfortunately, "Get in, loser, we're going shopping" is not featured in the musical because, apparently, they can't get a full car on stage.

Two of my personal favorite songs from the show are "Meet the Plastics", which gives an in-depth insight of what Regina, Gretchen, and Karen are like as people when they meet Cady for the first time rather than just the brief "OMG, shut up" moment from the movie. "Stupid with Love" tells how Cady gave up love for math when she was in Kenya, and how love eventually brought her to meet Arron Samuels.

Tina Fey, who wrote the show with help from her husband, is a genius for bringing this very successful movie to the Broadway stage.