My Musical Instruments

Musical Instrument Journal

I Love To Play

52
Musical Instrument Journal
https://unsplash.com/photos/xFjti9rYILo

I enjoy playing musical instruments a lot. They were a recurring theme in my childhood, mainly at church. While practicing can be frustrating, I have also found it to be really relaxing. Growing up, my church was very blessed with wonderful pianists, and we also had several musical evangelists visit. My main instruments are clarinet and piano, but I would like to learn others as well. Flute and violin have been on my radar, in addition to maybe oboe.

It all started as a young child at my great aunt's piano. We would visit her house quite often, and I always loved it. I learned a good bit of cooking skills from her, and she had her piano. I had always wanted to take piano lessons as a child, but my mom was opposed to it. I ended up starting piano lessons as a teenager, but my love for the piano took root when I was young. I would play through some of the songs she had in her music books and I think it was then that my mother's opinion of me taking lessons began to change. I took lessons consistently for about three years, and I still enjoy playing and teaching myself new things. I have played the offertory at church a few times and really enjoyed it.

I was interested in doing beginning band when I was in 5th grade. I was interested in playing the trumpet. I really don't know why, but I wanted to try it. I ended up not being able to get that good of a sound out of it. I picked up the clarinet and was able to get a very clear tone. I ended up choosing it that night, and I'm still playing it in college. I took lessons for about 2 years in high school, in addition to marching and concert bands. I had tried out for the WV All-State Band, and while I never made it, the practice made me a better musician. I also had the opportunity to play in Honor Band Festivals at Marshall and West Virginia University. I played challenging music and was forced to do a lot of sight-reading in a very short amount of time.

I have also played clarinet in church for a number of years as well. Playing in different keys has made me a better musician as well. What I need to do is get the courage to play more solos or small ensemble pieces. That would be good for me I think.

I have always thought the flute sounded really pretty, and it was actually my second choice of instrument when I tried out for the band in fifth grade. I have read that once you play one woodwind or brass instrument, it is not that difficult to switch to another one in the same family. Oboe would also be very interesting, but the reeds are a lot more expensive than for a clarinet or saxophone. A violin is also really pretty as well. We'll see if any of these thoughts become reality! There are so many instruments to choose from, which is definitely not a bad thing. Play on!