What Music Can Teach Us About Life

What Music Can Teach Us About Life

Music's secrets to life.

1507
Aspers Northampton

Music can teach us a lot about life. Music has a way of meeting people where they are at yet changing their lives. I encourage you to learn from the different aspects of music.

Dynamics:

Dynamics in music refer to how quiet or loud the music is being played within a piece. The dynamics add to the flow and feel of the song by creating soft sections as well as bold/loud sections within the piece. Music teaches us that life should be lived at more than one dynamic; we are challenged to enjoy both the soft and and bold moments. The situations in life that make us feel weak or small can make us feel quiet and unimportant. These moments, however, can be some of the most beautiful parts of the song. The soft moments give us a chance to step back and truly see the essence of the song. This can show us that in life we must step back and see what life is really about. Running through life at solely a high dynamic can tire us out as well as cause us to forget the reason we are even singing (living) in the first place.

Diction:

Diction is the style of enunciation in singing. You see, diction does not only have one style, there are many. Different styles bring different feelings and emotions and help to highlight or emphasize certain points. It is important in a piece of music to know what style of diction is being used and then learn to sing and perform it in that way. In life we too often speak in our 'own diction'. What I mean by this is that we have a specific way in which we like to address things and we then choose to articulate that in our own specific way. We must learn, however, to understand our environment and respond to it in a style that will make the most impact. We must engage in the cultures and situations around us and understand the ways in which they live and speak. We can then use our voices to speak across those borders and among those differences. Then the power of our words can be shared with a greater variety of people and therefore have a greater impact.

Pitch/ Range:

Pitch refers to the position of a single sound in the complete range of sound. Range, therefore, is the distance from the lowest to the highest pitch. In music class or choir rehearsal we are always encouraged to work on pitch and develop our range. We have been taught the importance of precise pitch and broad range. This holds a key component within not only the world of music but also within our lives as a whole. It is important in life to distinguish our notes or to be precise with where we are at and where we may be going next. In choir class one is always encouraged to think of the pitch of the next note before singing it. This represents the importance of realizing where we are at and then preparing our minds for the jump we will soon be making to the next pitch. Some intervals are larger than others and thus require a larger jump but with the right preparation those jumps can be successful. Throughout our lives we must prepare ourselves for change and then engage in what that change may mean for our lives. Making a big jump isn't as scary when we know where we are going and where we are jumping from. Vocalists are also always being encouraged to broaden their range (increasing the number of pitches they are able to hit). In life, we must be seeking out ways in which we can broaden our range- our experiences, opportunities, encounters, and more. We should be aware of what our range looks like now and therefore what are limits are. This will then help us then realize where we are at and where we can go from there.

Music is genuine, empathetic, sensitive, encouraging, unique, and joyful. Music is exact and distinct yet free flowing and open ended. Music is sad yet happy and smooth yet precise. Music is gentle yet strong. I encourage you to live life like music and learn from its lessons.

Music is life- that's why are hearts have beats. - Cecily Morgan