How Music Can Keep You Sane

How Music Can Keep You Sane

Why do people sing out loud? Why does this song make me cry? Why do I listen to Chief Keef?

384
How Music Can Keep You Sane
Hasson Harris W.

I have always loved music. I can never get enough of it. Ever since I learned how to burn a CD (yeah I know that makes me sound old), I have NEVER lived a day without music in my life. Whatever mood I was in, I could find a song that would get me through the day. If I was in an screw the world mood I would be blasting Limp Bizkit's "Break Stuff." The song screams about just one of those days when everything sucks and if anyone looks at you, then a monsoon of rage, fists, and profanity will descend upon them like a biblical flood. The angry dissonant sounds of rock can cleanse the raging soul. Too many times I have found myself really vibing out to songs and bands that would make most of my friends question who I am...which is partly why I wear headphones.

On other days I feel like being an absolute fool and listening to some really mind numbingly dumb songs. Songs that say nothing of society, the world, but will give you a way to go through the day. The beat, the energy, and every part of the song will have you on your feet instantaneously. Anything by Chief Keef, Waka Flocka, or any Trap song I will get way too hyped and dance till my body melts. These songs get me ready to go to the gym or a party. I am either sweating from doing 50 pushups in a row or dabbing 50 times in a row.

When I'm studying or just living my life I listen to usually some calming Electronic music like Trance, or Chillstep. Those keep my mind active and ready to see the world how it really is. To openly experience life without fear of the unknown and live in the moment. To lose myself in whatever I'm doing. So far it has been keeping my grades up and allowing me to never limit myself.

Most of the time I listen to songs that let me sing my heart out! THIS is the main reason why I wear headphones! If you heard the amount of songs on my phone that cause me to sing...its literally all of them that have words. There is no end to the songs I have that I get stuck in my head throughout the day. All of the songs and genres I just talked about, I will sing out not just in the shower but everywhere I go. I'm sorry, God gave me a voice so beautiful that I must shout it to the heavens at every turn. Its a gift/curse.

But my propensity to sing out every song that appears on shuffle in my Google Play does not end with me. Just recently, my theatre friends sang, and acted out the play Hamilton. My god, it was hilarious, beautiful, moving, and the purest expression of the soul I have witnessed in a while. The smile never left my face.

It goes to show that the act of expressing emotion through song is not just something that I do but the it is part of human nature to express emotion this way. I say that by singing your pain out is the best way to live. I felt immensely relieved when I could listen to and sing Limp Bizkit's "Break Stuff" as opposed to actually breaking stuff or breaking someone. All music speaks to the soul, to the human spirit in a deeper way than we know at the time. Hell, maybe Chief Keef's "Love Sosa" is speaking about how people love the 'Sosa' personallity with all the dope, cars, and money but its never enough as there is someone who will screw you over.

Then again maybe not...

But what I do know is that music can help alleviate so much stress, pain, and boredom of everyday life. It is the lifeblood of humanity. Without it, there would be no culture or real way of expressing how a girl's butt made you feel.

Everyone knows the phrase: "All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players." Well if you see me on the street jamming to one of my favorite songs don't interrupt me. This is my solo.