Music Mondaze: The Best Live Performances of Freddie Mercury And Queen

This last Saturday marked the 69th birthday of rock legend Freddie Mercury. Known for his boisterous sound, Mercury was more than just the singer for the beloved band “Queen.”

He was an icon, a rebel, and, more importantly, an advocate among the gay community and for the suffers of the AIDS epidemic. Though he lost his battle against AIDS, Mercury left a legacy behind that continues to captivate fans worldwide. His sincere sound and soul continue to live on, and in honor of him, here are my top five favorite Freddie Mercury and Queen performances.

1. Queen – “Bohemian Rhapsody”

This is possibly one of the greatest renditions of the beloved and famed song. While I wasn’t there at the time (nor was I even alive), there’s no denying that you can feel the passion Mercury is evoking in his performance. “Bohemian Rhapsody” serves as one of Queen’s most personal songs, which many can still identify with.

2. Freddie Mercury and Montserrat Caballé – “Barcelona”

A defining moment for Mercury, Barcelona really started his solo career. Performing with Montserrat Caballé reflected Mercury’s love for the opera. So profound to many, after the death of Mercury, “Barcelona” was featured at the 1992 Summer Olympics.

3. Queen, Elton John, and Axl Rose – “Bohemian Rhapsody”

A tribute to Mercury, this was performed at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert in 1992. This particular concert was meant to raise awareness for the AIDS epidemic, with all proceeds going towards AIDS research.

4. Queen – “Somebody To Love”

A seven minute long performance of “Somebody To Love” from when Queen was at their peak. Enough said.

5. Queen – “Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy”

My personally favorite song and performance from the group.