5 Reasons To Go To A Music Festival In 2019

Check this off your 2019 bucket list.

77
music festival crowd band

I wholeheartedly believe that everyone should experience a music festival at least once in their lifetime. The feelings involved in the journey and experience are indescribable but the reasons to go are a little more concrete. Here are just a few reasons why 2019 should be the year you go to one (or three) music festivals around the country.

It's not just music

Though it's called a "music festival" there's more to a festival than just performances from bands and DJs. Often, festivals have various displays of captivating artwork throughout the festival grounds, including statues, paintings, installments, multi media experiences, light shows and more. Local artist's work and local shop's inventory is sold and showcased for festival goers to appreciate and even take home. Supporting local is always a plus that many festivals bring to the areas they set up camp. Performers can also be seen on festival grounds, such as fire dancers, trapeze artists and various actors to help immerse the audience even more into the experience.

The opportunity to travel

Music festivals are the perfect opportunities for road trips with friends! Even if you're lucky enough to live in the state of the music festival of your choosing, getting there is half the fun. Pack up the car (or cars), grab some snacks, make a playlist and relish in the anticipation of what's to come. The hype of the experience is like no other, and the opportunity to experience the world just a little bit more cannot be beaten.

The community

Once you enter the festival grounds, you belong to a new community. Your own mini-city for a few days, the fellow campers/festival goers have all gone there to have a good time, and look out for each other. Some festivals' sense of community is stronger than others, such as Bonnaroo in Tennessee, whose motto is in fact "Radiate Positivity" and is famous for the record-breaking number of high fives given throughout the festival daily. If someone needs help, there is always a helping hand there, something that is even hard to find in everyday life. Almost like a utopia, you will miss the sense of absolute belonging and community amongst the thousands of strangers around you.

The freedom to be you

For any festival, you are encouraged to come as you are. No matter the race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, etc., anyone and everyone is encouraged to let loose and be true to themselves. That means both inside and out, as the stereotypical "festival" clothing is simply a way to express yourself. Wear a bikini, a romper, suspenders, light up shoes, furry boots, a costume, anything! Because guess what, in this setting, no one is judging you, no one is criticizing, everyone is as happy and true to themselves as you are.

The post-festival blues

Though this may sound negative, in reality, the post-festival blues that you will inevitably feel after the end of your first festival is positive. It may start immediately after the last set, or a few days after the trip home, but either way, it will happen. Don't worry, this just means that the experience, memories, and friends you made have been unforgettable and now you're upset it's over.... until the next one. Just a warning, music festivals are addictive.