Moving Into The OU Dorms As A Transfer Student During COVID-19

This is my new hometown

72
Breanna Griffith

College students are moving into campuses all across the united states. That move in looked a lot different for me this year, considering we are in the middle of a pandemic. Coronavirus has hit the united states, and the recommendation for people is to wear masks and social distance 6 feet apart. For prominent colleges like mine, the University of Oklahoma is making a few changes to classrooms, elevators, and activities around campus because we are not allowed to cluster up.

I am a transfer student I am coming to OU as a transfer junior, so I have a little bit of experience under my belt. I went to a community college first, and now I am finishing up at OU. Even though I know how to study and am great at community college, I have no idea what a university will be about. However, I am not scared because I know I can do it. I came from a small-town community college, and it is nothing like OU. OU is so big it's like the size of the whole town of my community college. It is a big culture shock to me. Before anyone could move in, we all had to take a saliva-based COVID test.

After we took the COVID test, we had to self isolate for ten days until we moved in. Then we had a second requirement before we moved in, we had to fill out a COVID screening tool. If both of these tests were negative, we were allowed to move onto campus. My move-in date was a Wednesday, and I had a two and half hour drive to college, and my move-in time was from 9-10 am. When I got to campus, I went to the Lloyd noble center where the basketball stadium is located, and I checked in at a tent after I was cleared to check in, they let me proceed in the building. After I entered the building, I walked to the area where the residential colleges' check-in was, and from there, they gave me a packet, and I was good to drive to the residential colleges.

When I got to the residential colleges, they unloaded my boxes within 5 minutes, and they were up in my room within 15 minutes they were so fast and organized. When I got to my room, there were boxes everywhere. I had to unpack and decorate. With all coronavirus stuff going around, they would only allow one parent in from 5-9 pm. But we got my room all decorated when the parent was allowed in, and It took us until almost 9 pm to decorate and unpack. The next day was crazy. OU is such a big campus that I was trying to find my way around campus, and that was so much fun. So far, my experience at OU has been one to remember. Everyone has been so welcoming and when you walk onto campus they excitedly say welcome home, and I am glad to be home. As the sign on my wall says. "norman, a place that will get in your blood and stay forever. I hope I continue to have this much fun throughout my years at OU.