Moving Into College Is One Of Those Experiences Every Teenager Needs To Have

The whole month of August: a transition in life for many young adults across the world.

121

I moved into my dorm at the University of Delaware on August 25th. I woke up at 5 AM and left my house an hour later to get to campus. The whole ride there I slept because 1) I was absolutely exhausted and 2) I didn't want to deal with my awful anxiety. After arriving and moving all of my stuff into my room with my roommate (he is super chill by the way), I walked around exploring my new home.

I met up with a friend from high school who goes here as well, chilled in my dorm, got a hoagie, and honestly had an amazing time. I did have some orientation stuff in the evening but that didn't last long. The main point I want to explain in this post is how amazing move-in weekend is at college.

Now throughout the first night here, I saw a lot of freshman posting about their first parties and what not. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good party here and there, but this was the first night of college and I planned on remembering it. My roommate Nate and I met up with two guys on our floor, Ezra and Jeb, to go to this student center where they had activities going on. There we met two girls from the Honors college and played laser tag with them.

SUPER. LIT.

After that we got free ice cream, and rented a set of Kan Jam to play outside. Jeb's friend Chris met up with us to play too. He's from a different dorm as well, but after two days he is basically apart of our floor. So we played Kan Jam, threw football, and then saw this HBO comedian. To be totally real with you all, it was the best way I could have spent my first night on campus. I already have a nice friend group, my dorm room is feeling cozy (minus the lack of AC here), and I am truly enjoying myself.

My second night on campus I saw puppies on campus, did a late night Jimmy John's run at midnight with the friends I mentioned and a few others, and then I got people on my floor slushies from 7/11 at 2 o'clock in the morning. I also went into our building's basement to hang out in the lounge with everyone. We blasted music, had tons of snacks, and played games. It's the little stuff that matters to me, and this new friend group that I have is amazing.

Some other stuff I did includes playing PS4 with kids, going to the Hen Zone to play pool and foosball, and heading out for walks. Overall it has been a great experience so far. Will that change with classes? Maybe. Who knows? That's a question that will be answered in the upcoming days.

My advice for freshman? Be social and be yourself. I have met so many cool people, and on my way to college I was freaking out about being alone. I also realized that even though I am at the #1 party school I don't need to go to parties to have a genuinely good time with people. 11/10 believe this is going to be a great year for me. I shall keep you all updated as weeks go by. With that being said, I wish my other fellow freshman peers good luck with their first year of college.