10 Movies You Should Definitely Check Out If You Haven't Already

What better way to kill a snowy winter day with no homework than at the movies?

118

Students across the world, regardless of age, eagerly await Christmas break to be free from exams, homework, and generally busy schedules. But as excited as we all get for the end of the semesters and the immense amount of free time that follows, we tend to forget one annual recurring theme of every holiday break: we're bored out of our minds by week three.

Sure, the lead up to Christmas is great. Filled with family time, holiday spirit, holiday-themed television, and busy schedules of holiday traditions. But after that peak part of the break, what are we supposed to do with the rest of it? Most television shows take hiatuses during the holiday, so no new TV content to interest ourselves with. For any of us who live in the north, it's way too cold to even consider doing something outside. We've all been in school for at least four months, so we haven't been working and have very little entertainment spending money. So how are we supposed to fill all this free time?

Naturally, the entertainment industry has a solution for intense holiday boredom. Aside from the summer months, the December holidays are when some of the most anticipated movies of the year are released. In addition, most of the decent movies released around Thanksgiving are still in theaters. So assuming you can scrounge up about $100 in Christmas money, you can manage to see every one of this must-see films over Christmas break!

1. "Mary Poppins Returns" 

Release Date: December 19, 2018

The sequel to the Disney classic that we've been waiting on for generations. The film stars Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins and Lin Manuel-Miranda as a new character, Lamplighter Jack. This film has been getting rave reviews since its premiere screenings at the end of November, and I'm sure it will be a charmer to watch with the whole family over Christmas break.

2. "Aquaman"

Release Date: December 21, 2018

We first saw the hero in "Justice League" in 2017, but now Aquaman (Jason Momoa) is getting his own solo movie. The Atlantian hero will be the star of his own journey in this film as he fights to protect his kingdom and the surface world.

3. "Ralph Breaks the Internet" 

Release Date: Already Out Now!

I've already seen this movie and I guarantee that it's adorable. I laughed out loud in a theater filled with children. However you image the Internet, this film personifies some of our favorite websites and apps in a way that's sure to make you rethink using the Internet. Add some songs, cameos by some of your favorite Disney characters (from all parts of the Disney canon!) with original voice actors, and this film will satisfy fans of all ages.

4. "Bohemian Rhapsody" 

Release Date: Already Out Now!

This movie has already broken a box office record, becoming the highest grossing music bio-pic ever. replacing 2015's hit film "Straight Outta Compton." This film tells the story of the band Queen and lead singer Freddie Mercury, and it's a must-see for music and film fans alike.

5. "Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald" 

Release Date: Already Out Now!

This sequel to the Wizarding World's "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" follows all your favorite characters from the first movie as well as adding some old "Harry Potter" fan favorites. This film is really fun to watch, especially for older fans and people who have seen all of the "Harry Potter" movies because there are several direct and indirect easter eggs within the films that homage the original films and characters that made us fall in love with magic, muggles, and more.

6. "The Grinch" 

Release Date: Already Out Now!

What better way to ring in the holiday season than with the person that... hates Christmas the most? This delightful rendition of the Dr. Seuss classic is animated, as opposed to the live-action Jim Carrey film, and the voice of the Grinch is none other than Benedict Cumberbatch. I saw this film on a whim with a friend over Thanksgiving and was so glad I did. There is no better film on this list to ring in the Christmas season with the whole family.

7. "Bumblebee" 

Release Date: December 21, 2018

Have you ever wondered the backstory for everyone's favorite Transformer? Well, this film, which is set in 1987 (20 years before the events of the first "Transformers" movie) answers the question, whether you wanted them to or not. When Bumblebee lands on Earth, he finds himself befriended by a teenage girl, who helps him escape a secret government agency and realize he might not be the first Transformer here.

8. "Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse" 

Release Date: December 14, 2018

No, this film is not an MCU film and, no, it does not star Tom Holland. While this may be a let down (admittedly it was for me while I was looking at movies coming out and I saw the title), this film is receiving rave reviews and will definitely be worth a viewing. It currently has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes from initial screenings and has received universally good reviews from critics. It is an animated film that follows Miles Morales, the Spiderman of his universe, as he meets Spider-people from across the Spiderverse.

9. "Mary Queen of Scots" 

Release Date: December 7, 2018

This historical drama stars award-winning actresses Saoirse Ronan of "Ladybird" and Margot Robbie of "I, Tonya." The film tells the story of 1569 historical conflict between Mary, Queen of Scots (Ronan) and her cousin Queen Elizabeth (Robbie). Initial screenings have earned this film positive reviews from critics.

10. "Welcome to Marwen" 

Release Date: December 21, 2018

This upcoming drama film is based on a true story and stars Steve Carell and Leslie Mann. It tells the story of a man who was the victim of a violent assault who uses a miniature replica construction of a World War II village in his yard to help in his recovery process.