movies for 2019 award season

6 Movies To See Before You Have No Idea What Is Going During Award Season

"And the Oscar goes to..."

26

Award season is in the air, and we are ready to start watching movies! Even though award season is two months away, contenders are racing to promote their movies for the big award. During the winter months, I attend the movies more in the winter than the whole year. Seeing movies in theater gives you the chance to form your own predictions!

Before we start rooting for our favorite people, we need to see them in action. This small list is movies you need to see ASAP before award season begins. These are not listed in any particular order except for the fact you need to see these now! Not all of these films are in theaters but are causing major Oscar buzz.

1. "A Star Is Born"

Okay, don't act surprised by this BOP of a movie. It came out in October, and everyone is still talking about it. This movie has the power to be nominated for the biggest awards of the night. Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper have the power to take home some MAJOR awards this award season. Also, the soundtrack is award-winning and might have a chance at the Grammys.

2. "Green Book"

Solid reviews from not only the movie but also Vigo Mortensen's and Mahershala Ali's performance. This movie could get them a nomination for "Best Actor" and "Best Supporting Actor" at the Oscars.

3. "Beautiful Boy"

An early Oscar contender in the season but has the potential to get a nomination for Timothee Chalamet and Steve Carrell. This movie takes you through a journey of a man and his son suffering through addiction. Not only a true story but a heartbreaking one as well.

4. "The Favourite" 

A love triangle between a star-studded cast that features Emma Stone, Rachel Weisz, and Olivia Coleman. Coleman, who plays Queen Anne, has had high reviews on her performance that could get her a "Best Actress" nomination. Her co-stars Stone and Weisz could grab a "Best Supporting Actress" nomination too.

5. "Destroyer" 

Nicole Kidman goes under a big transformation to play a young cop, Erin Bell, who has to revisit an old case to find inner peace. A gritty drama that is sure to make people take notes for award season.

6. "Can You Ever Forgive Me?"

A different side to Melissa McCarthy we've never seen before. Playing a struggling writer who decides to make a business of forging letters written by dead authors. This is also a true story and McCarthy reportedly does this role justice.