Movie Thoughts: Cars 3 Kicks Off Another Great Year For Pixar

The Cars Franchise Is Taking The First Steps In the Right Direction

14

In the world of Pixar, the new year has hit us with the second teaser trailer to the upcoming movie Cars 3. The Cars franchise is making the come back with this new grittier sequel which easily beats its two predecessors with just their first trailer released in November. The reason why Cars 3 is so great is because it finally achieves the goals of what Pixar wants (and no Pixar is not just creating a marketable franchise they can make toys and clothes out of). Pixar finally made Cars into a simple story that is captivating to children and creates that whimsical child-like mystique that older audiences can get behind. Pixar has finally realized that they are not only making movies for the young Pixar fans of today, but they are also making movies for the Pixar fans who are grown up and has been watching it for a long time. And with this being said, I have high expectations for this film and I will be extremely upset if the movie does not hold up to the trailers.

Based on the website’s description of the movie and my own take on the film as per the trailers, I’m guessing the story revolves around Lightning McQueen racing in the Piston Cup and finding out that he cannot compete with the new technologically advanced vehicles equipped with the updated models and stronger motors. And in the midst of getting support from external sources McQueen will have to come to terms with the fact that as a machine, let alone a car, he has to come to terms with the fact that he, like the rest of his friends, are obsolete. The story can definitely borrow a lot from the Toy Story franchise and the quintessential questions tackled in those films. The Toy Story movies plays around with the concept of where do toys go when their owners don’t want them or what happens when toys die etcetera. We almost got this in Toy Story 3 with the incinerator scene which brought kids and their parents to the edges of their seats. Now this does not mean that we need to have an incinerator scene in Cars 3 but maybe have McQueen wonder about a world where cars die to add that emotional dimension to make the film memorable.

In addition to Toy Story the Cars 3 can also get some inspiration from 2005 film Robots. This movie went the full nine years and explains the birth and death of machines makes it explicit. They directly reference to the chop shop that takes apart machinery and turns them into spare parts. Although Cars 3 does not have to steal the chop shop idea directly, something needs to be done to replicate that dark tone which was made explicit in the trailers. But if there is anything I know that’s going to be achieved in this film is that this is going to deviate from the style the other movies in the series are in. If anything, this may be the film that saves the franchise’s reputation