Movie Theaters Are Back! What You Need to know

Just because theaters are back doesn't mean things are back to normal.

72
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:2017-10-19_15_21_12_Empty_movie_theater_at_the_AMC_Worldgate_9_Theater_in_Herndon,_Fairfax_County,_Virginia.jpg

I work at a movie theatre and it was just confirmed a few weeks back that movie theaters were gonna open back up and this week they finally have. I worked my first shift back and I wanna write a few things you need to know before going back to a theatre.

1. We do sanitize the seats

If you are concerned, yes after every show we make a note of the seat someone was sitting in and wipe it down. There are sanitizes given at every theatre that kills 99.9% of germs so it's safe. At the end of every night we are required to deep clean the seats as well.

2. Wear a mask!

Do we have to wear a mask the whole movie? Yes, you do. Wearing a mask does a whole lot to protect the people around you. Do you want movie theaters to stay open and be able to operate? This is how it's gonna be for the foreseeable future. Deal with it. We want to be safe to keep the film industry alive! If you don't like it or thinks it 'infringes on your rights' please leave you have Netflix at home.

3. Stay away from people

This is in general a good rule to follow in the movie theatre. Don't be that guy who decides to sit one seat away from someone or right behind them. Nobody likes that guy. I'm not here to hear the loud munching of you in my ear as I try to watch a movie, okay? It's important right now because social distancing is important to keep the virus spread to a minimum. This is always a good rule to go by even when the world eventually goes back to normal.

4. Can I buy snacks?

Yes, check in with the theatre you are going in first. I know at the Alamo Drafthouse you have to reserve the food you get before you enter the theatre. Other places will do different things. I work at a B&B Theatres and we can serve popcorn and candy like normal. We just have to give you a new bag or a new cup for refills.

5. So.... if I buy popcorn but have to wear a mask?

Yeah I know, the world doesn't make sense right now okay? All I ask is to make good judgement calls and care about the people around you. So like, eat some popcorn, put your mask on and then take it off to eat some more popcorn? I don't know I'm not your mom but just don't be a jerk. Don't be one of those people that are obviously not eating anything and keeping their mask off because they think buying a popcorn is buying a free pass to do what you want. Okay? Okay.

6. Should movie theaters be open again and should I go?

Like I said before, this is your judgement call. Theatres are safer to go to then your local grocery store I can tell you that. It feels so good to be back in theaters and I feel entirely safe in them. I think we just need to follow the rules and be considerate of other people. This shouldn't just be when a virus is going on- this should be all the time. So be respectful of those who want to go back to the movies but understand the precautions that are involved in going back and care for the safety of others. Respect those who aren't comfortable yet with going back- this pandemic is a scary thing and we need to treat it seriously even if it isn't directly affecting our own lives.