5 Movie Theater Foods That Aren't Popcorn And Worth The Excessive Prices

These are the lesser known theater foods that deserve recognition.

526
YouTube

Movie theaters usually sell a variety of foods and beverages, but the cliche is almost always popcorn. While popcorn is delicious, it's usually not the food I get when seeing a movie by myself. Since I work at a movie theater, that means I get to see movies more often than usual and try a greater variety of foods while watching a movie there. The following are just a few of the foods/beverages I enjoy while watching a movie over popcorn.

5. Hot Dogs

There is never a wrong time to eat a hot dog (unless you are at a vegetarian convention). Hot dogs go well with almost every occasion, whether it's a birthday BBQ or a baseball game. Their easy to handle shape and their easy customization (infinite toppings) is what makes them popular to so many different people.

This same logic applies to the theater-going experience as well. They're just so convenient because you can easily hold it in one hand while you hold your drink or do other things with your other hand. I mostly put hot dogs on the list for their convenience, but also because they are really, really good (making this list is making me extremely hungry).

4. Candy

This one is a bit more cliche and fits in with the common foods people think about when going to a movie theater. However, I usually find myself getting candy over popcorn whenever I go to the movies. There are many reasons for this (such as preferring sweet over salty at times), but my number one reason is variety.

I could get fruity candies like Sour Patch Kids and Skittles or I could go for something more chocolaty like Caramel M&Ms or Reese's Cups. I usually buy more candy than popcorn at the movies, because I want to try a brand/kind I hadn't had before. I also have an enormous sweet tooth that I have to satisfy.

3. Chicken Tenders

If I had to make a list of my favorite kinds of meat, chicken would definitely make the top 5. I love the soft juice taste mixed with the satisfying crunch of the breaded skin. I also love the variety of different flavors of sauces you can dip them, but I usually like to take adding sauce to the next level.

I love drenching my tenders in buffalo sauce and shaking them up in the cardboard carrying box to make my own buffalo chicken tenders. Then I add a side of curly fries to that and you have yourself a great theater treat. I mostly put this one on the list for personal reasons, but when it comes to buffalo chicken you can hardly blame me.

2. ICEE

Once again, this is usually my drink of choice over the traditional soda whenever I go to the movies. This mostly has to do with rarity. It's hard to find ICEEs in regular shops or restaurants and whenever I see one in a gas station or in a theater I don't waste that golden opportunity.

I also love ICEEs and the various flavors you can mix and match. I usually love getting the Coca-Cola flavor or the White Cherry flavor, but recently the limited time new flavor Strawberry Citrus at my theater has replaced them both as my favorite. When you go to the theaters on a hot day, nothing beats the heat like an air-conditioned theater and cold ICEEs (seriously, Strawberry Citrus is freaking addicting).

1. Pizza

Pizza is my favorite food, which is the whole reason why it is number one (let alone on the list at all). If you haven't realized yet, this is a very biased list and goes into the foods I personally love. I know handling pizza is a bit of a chore when you are in a theater seat and don't have a table to set it on, but I just love eating my favorite food while indulging in my favorite pastime.

I love the variety of crust options, whether it's thin or hand-tossed. I love the variety of cheeses and the variety of toppings. From meats to veggies and pineapple to peppers; there's a pizza out there for everyone (my favorite is pepperoni and ham). I just get this warm and comforting feeling whenever I have a personal pizza while seeing a film on the big screen.