Movie Review: "Us"

Movie Review: "Us"

"Us" is a movie that manages to disorient you and subvert even the highest of expectations in the best way possible. This review contains SPOILERS for the movie.

16
Movie Review: "Us"

"Us" is the newest addition to director Jordan Peele's lineage of social horror, tethering together drama, suspense, comedy, horror, and social commentary together to form inexplicably original nightmares, forefronted by his 2017 Oscar-winning outing, "Get Out". "Us" follows the story of Adelaide Wilson, portrayed by Lupita Nyong'o, and her family's encounter with the doppelgänger demons of Adelaide's past. Displaying black excellence with the continued casting of Winston Dukes her husband Gabe, as well as Shadi Wright Joseph and Evan Alex as their children Zora and Jason.

Adelaide experiences trauma when she is young, wandering into a house of mirrors at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk and finding an exact look-a-like of herself in one of the mirrors. Later in life, she visits her former home at the beach while with her family on vacation and is ambushed by an identical set of doppelgängers that intrude the home, demanding their "time in the light"

Again, MAJOR SPOILERS ARE REVEALED BELOW:

The characters in this movie explore the best and worst in themselves, with the worst being truly lived through by the Tethered. The doppelgängers are jealous of being informed about the way the people above ground have lived for centuries. The analogous representation of classism in between the two groups is infecting, unsteadily showing the viewer that the privileges some are afforded are unfair. A takeaway from the movie's tone suggests that planning an above ground takeover may not be in the best interest of all included, as even the undergrounders are still human and have families, but have just been deprived of luxuries such as sunlight and food other than raw rabbit meat. Also, the tethered are unable to speak like humans likely because of the lack of oxygen underground.

The Tethered, led by Adelaide post-kidnapping, plan a "Hands Across America" type of overthrow, coming to the surface world to kill and take the place of their privileged equals in America. Adelaide is shown in the open to be intrigued by the actual 1986 "Hands Across America" charity campaign and uses this to dram up her plan of revenge.

The main twist of the film revealing that Adelaide's tethered version, Red, has been on the surface since her traumatic night in the house of mirrors is hammered home with the realization that Red came to the surface without harmful intent, starting a family and living peacefully, just without the intent to ever go back underground. Note: Adelaide is the capital if South Australia, the literal representation of "Down Under".

There are many references and lines that contribute to Peele's vision as well, such as Jason's outburst asking for a dog, as Jason's "tethered" version of himself being beast-like, somewhat reflecting the actions and mannerisms of a dog, and aptly being named Pluto. Pluto has burn marks on his face that shows the worst in Jason's habit of pyromania. In turn, Pluto wears a mask out of necessity while Jason loves to wear his beastly mask out of fun.

Red on the car ride to Santa Cruz is listening to "I Got Five On It" and tries to get Jason on the beat with snapping. Red snaps off the beat, the first of many moments that Jason seems to be visibly disconnected from his mother's actions. Also, young Red's first action when kidnapping young Adelaide at the boardwalk is to handcuff her to a bed, and Adelaide returns the favor by handcuffing Red to a coffee table when the tethered first enter the Wilson residence.

The tethered Zora, Umbrae (meaning the darkest part of a shadow), is unhinged and is likely displeased with Zora's unappreciative status towards her talents at track and field. Gabe's double, Abraham, is only able to communicate with vocal outbursts and shouts for the most part, likely deprived of the Howard University education that Gabe wears proudly on his sweatshirt for a large part of the movie.

The movie features award-worthy acting by the entire cast, notably Nyong'o, who plays both Red and Adelaide with disturbingly believable and unmaskable quality. Also, "Us" is absolutely filled with amazing production, taking advantage of mirrors, glass, practical effects, and realism in every turn. It is visibly inspired by juggernauts of the horror genre, such as "Jaws" (shown with Jason's Jaws graphic tee) and the many nods to "The Shining" and the supernatural. These include the identical twin girls of the Wilsons' friends, the Tylers, and time showing 2:37.

The time and numbers 11:11 are shown and mentioned multiple times, representing the magical qualities of the exact minute in time that have a knack for granting wishes. A few clocks show the time, as well as a baseball game on TV that is tied 11 to 11. The number symbolizes flip-sides while leaving room for otherworldly happenings.

I could go on for hours about the genius and intricate planning behind "Us", but it serves you best to see it. It has plenty of scares, laughs, and moments of true parallelism to real life to leave you satisfied.