Moving On

Moving On

One thing's end is another's beginning.

170
Moving On
Rylee Cronin

I am a person who gets very easily attached to people. From the moment I meet someone I click with, I plan on being friends with that person for a very long time. I have been friends with all three of my very best friends since middle school, and I don't plan on getting rid of them any time soon. However, although this desire to keep friendships at any cost can be a strength, at times it leads me to my greatest moments of weakness.

I am not good at letting people go, even those that I know are toxic for me to keep around. I would rather let a person hurt me over and over again than feel the pain of cutting them out of my life and admitting that our friendship isn't meant to be. Quite honestly, it's an awful personality trait to have. The reality of this, is that I often don't get out of relationships until they run me into the ground. I want to see the good in people so badly, that I hand out infinite amounts of second chances, and lose sight of the fact that some people just aren't meant to be in my life.

This brings us to a question that I find myself asking too often: when is the right time to stop believing in someone? What should it take to stop letting someone make mistakes and to put your individuality over the relationship you have with them? When is it time to stop believing that people are ultimately good, and realize the fact that not all people have your best interest at heart? When is it time to move on?

The answer? The minute you start questioning whether or not a person is healthy for you to have a relationship with is often times the one that you need to start moving on. If someone is giving you reason to think that their relationship with you is taking more out of you than it should, that's the first red flag. There are only so many times a person can walk all over you and make you question your relationship before it becomes too taxing on both ends.

Now I'm not saying that if someone makes a mistake that you should cut them off completely. People are not perfect by any means, and holding them to a standard of such can only lead to downfall. However, people grow apart and change and so do friendships. It does no use trying to keep a friendship alive that is slowly draining the life out of both people involved.

That being said, not all friendships are made to last forever. Some people are meant to stay by your side for your entire life, and others are meant to teach you how truly important the quality people in your life are.

Don't be afraid to move on. The end of one thing is the beginning of something else, something better.