12 Ways To Move Into College With Ease

12 Ways To Move Into College With Ease

Whether its your first time going to school or your back at it again, I hope this list can help someone make that transition.

7
12 Ways To Move Into College With Ease
Wilson College

Moving in to college is a really big deal, esspecially the first time. There may be a lot of things you forget or don't even realize the first time you go to college, and that's okay. I think research is the best way to go. One of my favorite things to do senior year of high school was look at articles and lists of things you need to know for going to college. Now I've been doing it and I think on some level, all my research helped me make a smooth transition. I hope this can help someone make that same transition, or if you've been in college, maybe there's just one thing you hadn't thought about before.

1. Bring Slippers

If your dorm is anything like the ones I've lived in, there's a lot you can do just inside of the building. Barefoot is not the way to go. Also, middle of the night fire drills already suck, so having something soft to slip into quick before running outside makes it a little easier.

2. Hangers

Hangers are a must assuming you have a closet in your dorm and they generally are not provided for you. I think the easiest way to transport your clothes is on the hangers. Take a bundle of clothes on hangers and put a big bag or garbage bag around them to keep them tidy and clean.

3. Bring a Comfy Bath Robe

Community bathrooms were not my favorite experience, but a big bath robe helps. It feels luxurious after showers and it's also a great help if that fire alarm goes off while you're in the middle of the shower.

4. Lighting

Fluorescent dorm lights aren't the greatest, and if there's big furniture in the middle of the room, one side might not even get enough light. Bring a desk lamp, maybe even a floor lamp to light the rest of your room.

5. Personalize

My favorite part of going to college (and making a college pinterest board) was decorating. You have the freedom to make your space truly yours (with the exception of putting holes in the walls). Decorate how you want it, and its okay to leave some decorating for later in the year.

6. Sheets

Pack your bed sheets into your pillow case. All your bedding will stay together, it will be easy to find when you get to your bed, and its compact.

7. Condense

Pack stuff inside of other stuff. If your bringing tote bins, pack them full of everything else your bringing. If your bringing a set of drawers, pack them full, too, and tape them shut so they don't open.

8. Pack light

Dorms are generally small, and you'll probably have to share, so your entire bedroom from home can not come with to college. 50 pairs of shoes are NOT necessary, and neither is your clothing for every season. Pack what you need and there is probably a store somewhere near campus to get smaller things like toiletries.

9. Tetris

Packing a car full of college stuff is seriously adult tetris. Every nook and cranny should be utilized.

10. Shoes

Where some good shoes for move in day. Cute sandals or wedges won't impress anyone if you can't move your own stuff into your new room. There will be lots of people there at the same time, all trying to get their own stuff in, so if there is an elevator, you might opt for the stair so you can get done sooner.

11. Unload Smart

When your carrying all the stuff from the jam packed car into your dorm, unpack methodically. Put bed stuff near the bed, put desk stuff on the desk, and clothes, hangers, and shoes right into the closet so they don't clog the rest of the room.

12. Be Thankful

Hopefully, you don't have to unload and unpack everything on your own, so give all your helpers a BIG thank you! You might have future teachers, your parents, and orientation leaders helping you out to move in on their own time, so be very appreciative.