Move in day advice

Move In Day Advice

With move in day coming up more many of us students, I figured this would be the perfect article to help ease your concerns!

26
Move In Day Advice
https://www.everypixel.com/search?q=moving%2Bboxes&stocks_type=free&image_id=9514753342751390136

Starting off first you need to know that move in day is going to be STRESSFUL. That's okay though, trust me its a rough day for everyone so try to ignore all the chaos that is going to be going on around you and just get things done as efficiently as possible. The thing about move in day is that most of the time the apartment complex or dorm administration does not give very good directions on where to park / leave all your belongings while you get the key to your new home and everyone is gonna be very confused but YOU WILL FIGURE IT OUT. You might as well get use to it now honestly because within the next few weeks you are going to be put in many confusing first time situations and you just kinda have to figure it out? That literally college in a nutshell.

No matter where you are moving in ON campus - there should be multiple volunteers to help you out, you'll know who they are when you arrive. My best advice is to follow the College's directions as thoroughly as you can and if you get lost just ASK!!! I know it can be frustrating trying to figure out where you're supposed to go on a campus you've never been on so save yourself the time of walking around like a lost puppy with a million of bags in your hands and just ask! It's always good to arrive early as well just to avoid these kind of situations and remember the more hands on deck the better - if anyone of your friends or family are are willing to help, take advantage of that! I will say though, it will get pretty crowded fast with you and your roommates families all trying to move in. Thats why its important we do it as fast and as soon as possible. If you see someone a maroon polo, chances are they work for CofC and will be willing to help (this process should be the same at other colleges and universities as well). College administration is aware that some students will be moving in completely alone so they will get you the needed help, don't worry about that part just focus on getting to where you need to be to actually move in to the building.

My second best advice is to bring EVERYTHING you think you will need. In the past, the college has sent me a list of things that I can and should bring as well ass things i cannot and should avoid bringing. You can also always look these checklist up online to help you pack accordingly. I know that certain apartment complex's will send out similar list as well. Worst comes to worst your parents can take it home for you when they leave, you could even sell it or mail it home, regardless it's better to have everything you need when you get there so you don't have to buy a bunch of extra things because trust me, once you finally get all your boxes and bags in - you're going to want and try to settle in because in just a few days classes will be starting so go ahead and do it while you still have time! The faster you settle on the faster you can enjoy your new home and explore your campus!

Not only should you bring everything you need but don't forget to label your bags / boxes!!! It will make unloading and unpacking 10x easier. If you want your process to go by smoothly I would HIGHLY recommend organizing your belongings and making sure each one is labeled.

And last but not least, HAVE FUN WITH IT!!! Any move in day is exciting- especially if you are a first year. Remember that its just a chaotic day - it won't be like this everyday your at college LOL. Just take the extra steps beforehand to save you time when you actually move in. Have a plan ready or at least some ideas of how you want to go about getting your belongings to your room and then how you want to store your items. You can have fun with this part! Put on some music, start putting your clothes away and getting your bedding set up and you will forget about all of those heavy boxes you just dragged up stairs LOL. Once you get all the important things done then you can focus on decorating as well which in my opinion is the best part. Definitely make sure you stock up on command strips so you don't damage your walls and get fined :((( But most importantly, enjoy the stress of the day - it will all be worth it once you make your new home feel a little more like home. Remember, to be efficient you have to do some extra work before in, but take that extra time!! You'll thank yourself later!