Motivation From Matt Damon As Mark Watney In "The Martian"

Just remember that it could always be worse.

450

For everyone out there in desperate need of a motivational speech or an extremely attractive actor to gaze at…look no further. The Martian was recently released in theaters starring Matt Damon as Mark Watney, an astronaut who is left behind by his crew and is consequently forced to fend for himself and achieve contact with NASA in order to return to Earth. This film is brimming with inspirational quotes and scenes…not to mention the leading astronaut is pretty easy on the eyes…

So here are just a few motivational gems (and candids of Matt Damon) from Mark Watney:

He taught us that when you’re feeling stressed, just focus on the simplest truths to gain some stability and perspective.

"Hi, I'm Mark Watney and I'm still alive... obviously."

When faced with a seemingly insurmountable challenge, he inspired us to start by playing our strengths but also recognizing our weaknesses.

"I'm gonna need more coffee [trips over trash basket]"

He taught us that the key to optimism lies in finding the silver lining in every dark cloud.

"I admit it's fatally dangerous, but I'd get to fly around like Iron Man."

Even though our situation might seem hopelessly bleak, we should not fixate on the negatives.

"It's been seven days since I ran out of ketchup."

Instead, he taught us to step back, analyze our situation and formulate a plan-of-attack. We should empower ourselves by taking an active instead of passive approach.

"Do the math. Solve the problem."

And even if you don’t necessarily feel super confident, a little pep-talk in the mirror never hurt anyone. Even if what you’re saying to yourself isn’t completely true, confidence is key

"I don't want to come off as arrogant here, but I'm the best botanist on the planet."

He reminded us that the only thing we can count on in life is that it will change. If we don’t like our current situation, sometimes the best thing to do is wait it out and let time straighten things out.

"Let’s wait it out."

He also demonstrated that, when all else fails, a little creativity can be an asset when it comes to complicated problems...and a little duct tape goes a long way.

He showed us that we have to be our own biggest supporters and refuse to let others’ lack of faith in us break our spirits.

"This will come as quite a shock to my crew mates. And to N.A.S.A. And to the world. But I'm still alive. Surprise!"

And most importantly, celebrate even the smallest successes.

Then again, sometimes we just need to appreciate great actors in all their glory