Take A Breather With Mother Nature

Take A Breather With Mother Nature

Mother Nature: the ultimate stress relief.

34
Take A Breather With Mother Nature
Whitley Taylor

In our ever-busy, nonstop lives in the 21st century, we barely have time to stop for a breather. We always seem to find ourselves caught in the hustle and bustle of everyday life. And even those few free moments we have are often consumed by the media: TVs, smartphones, social media and more. The media can take a toll on you — leaving you to feel defeated, alone and tired.

Why is turning on the TV or scrolling through Facebook the first thing we want to do in our free time? Aren’t we sick of the media and screens by the end of a long and tiring day? It seems so easy to “relax” by staring at a screen. But really, this isn’t an effective way to unwind. Staying inside and staring at a screen is not a long term escape from the stresses of life.

We were not made to stay inside at all hours of the day. We were not made to stare at the screen on our smartphones. It’s easy to forget in our digitalized world that mankind was originally tailored to the natural world: the great outdoors. We’re supposed to be out discovering and experiencing the world around us. For thousands of years, humans were capable of surviving without the Internet, so why now does it seem like our lives are pointless without it?

Go on a hike, look at a tree, look up at the stars, stop and smell the roses. Engaging in any of these activities will truly help your overall mental health while allowing you to experience the great, wide world. I promise you the fresh air will make you feel free and more alive. Your last priority while immersed in nature is “Oh, I wonder how many likes I got on my Instagram.”

We spend so much time inside that we forget about the beautiful relaxation of nature and the world. A view from the top of a mountain is much more calming than watching TV. Don’t let to superficialities of the world bog down on you. Go outside and take a walk to clear your head.