Is Mother Nature Sending Us A Message? We Should Probably Listen!

Four hurricanes in one summer is a wake-up call!

184
Matt Howard on Unsplash

Have you ever read those ancient legends where Mother Nature sends signals to the people of the world? People then interpret the weather, the stars, the sun, and the moon to determine what might happen in the world. From what I’ve seen of the world lately, people think of these stories as fables with little to no truth. But what if we look at these legends from a different angle? What if we try looking at them with a hint of truth?

Now let’s take a look at what Mother Nature has handed us lately. In 2017, we had how many hurricanes in one summer? At least 4 in a matter of a couple months. California endured severe forest fires followed by heavy rains which caused massive mudslides. This past winter, the eastern side of the country survived a beratement of rain and snow. The northeast corridor acted as a pathway for all the gruelling weather.

Could Mother Nature be trying to tell us something? Could she be saying that we are doing something wrong? And if we don’t change our ways Nature may wipe us all out and take back her planet.

Let’s look at California’s fires and mudslides as an example. Now, California is known for being hot and dry. Small debris – such as branches and tree bark – collects on the forest floor and becomes highly flammable. Since the environment is so hot and dry, the forest quickly becomes grounds for fires to start rather easily. Over the years, people have developed ways to prevent forest fires from starting. And scientists and engineers have gotten pretty good at preventing these fires.

So, what happens next is the small, highly flammable debris collects on the forest floor. It builds up to extremely high amounts. Since California went into a lengthy drought, there was no moisture on the ground to suppress any fires. As soon as the smallest flame sparked on the forest floor in California, the entire land exploded into flames.

As we all know, the trees, homes, cars, and businesses burned for days. People lost their homes. They lost their companies, their jobs, and their incomes.

Eventually, firefighters suppressed the massive fires. They were heroes!

But then the rain started pouring down. It rained for days and days. All that ash and loose, burned debris washed down hillsides. The ground was extremely unstable. In the blink of an eye, mudslides let loose and wiped out many remaining houses.

Tragedy ensued yet again. The exhausted firefighters were forced to return immediately and rescue yet thousands of more people.

Now, the rather simple way to prevent natural tragedies such as forest fires and mudslides is this: induce small prescribed burns.

Purposely burning off those layers of flammable debris on the forest floor in small amounts greatly reduces the risk of massive forest fires. Engineers have the technology and the know-how to perform prescribed burns. They do it in Florida! Among other states.

In terms of Mother Nature sending signals, we see here that Mother Nature is trying to tell us that we are controlling nature incorrectly! Scientists, engineers, and society as a whole need to take a closer look at how we are handling nature. Four hurricanes in one season probably means we are doing something wrong! One blizzard after another in the northeast corridor probably means we are doing something wrong!

Let's take Mother Nature more seriously from now on. She is giving us signals. We need to listen.