My Mom Forced Me To Get A Tattoo, But It's Not What You Think

The Rebel In My Mom Left A Permanent Mark On Me

Getting inked with my mom was not what I had in mind for my day, yet, here we are.

234
Sydney Brown

It started off as any other day in the Brown Household. My mother was on the balcony with my puppy and my dad was at my grandparents.

The normalcy lasted about five minutes and then I received a text from my father telling me to get dressed. He was being secretive and that's not like him. I asked him question after question and he didn't budge. “Put on shorts and a t-shirt and be ready. That's all I'm saying."

Part of me excited about what may occur, part of me angry that I've been left in the dark, I get dressed and wait for my dad to return home.

After an hour, I finally hear a knock on my bedroom door, but it's not my dad. My sister and her dog/my best friend came running in. I didn't know what to say. My sister is always saying her work schedule is hectic and taking a three-hour drive from Harrisonburg isn't always convenient, so I definitely was not expecting to see her face.

She didn't stay in my bedroom for long, because she had to surprise my mother with her being home, as well. She left my room in an authentically energetic fashion and I found myself sitting at the foot of my bed confused. I reach for my phone to see where my dad was and what's going on when I saw a text from my mom,

We're what? Do I get a say in this? There is no way my dad is going to let this happen!

I've talked about tattoos with my mother before, but merely as 'what if' situations. I never thought it'd actually happen. My sister has a few tattoos and piercings that I've always admired, but I never thought it to be something I should give a go. Especially not with my pain tolerance.

At this point, so many things are going through my head. What should I get? Where should I get it? Do I want to do this? Do I have a choice? This is forever. Am I sure I'm okay with that? How do I want to do this and absolutely not want to do this all at the same time?

I knew the answer to one of the questions rattling around my brain. No, I do not have a choice. My sister has set her mind to it, my mom is excited, my dad is acting strangely nonchalant about the matter. Everyone is on the same page, except for me.

I decided to accept my fate and start searching Pinterest for design ideas. I've always been interested in back and hip tats, so, at least, I knew what I was looking for... sort of.

That's when the text messages started ringing in. A group message with my mother and sister filled with tattoo ideas. That's when I realized we were all supposed to get the same thing... but everything they sent was... well... ugly. I knew, if I was going to go through with this, I had to get something I liked. You can't exactly get matching tattoos to please your mom for the day and then wash it off in the morning. I decided to back out of the matching plan and do my own thing. Thank God I did.

After much thought, I decided I would get one on my upper back. Something simple but beautiful.

We arrived at the shop and I talked to the artist about different designs and where to look for inspiration. My dad and I sat down and started searching. I didn't have any luck. I was about to back out of the events for the day when I saw a gorgeous lotus flower on my dad's phone screen. I asked to see it up close and I fell in love.

Of course, I ended up being the last to go, because of my indecisiveness. Surprisingly, I wasn't phased by the order set for going under the needle. I was oddly relaxed. I even took a short nap in the waiting room.

Around eight o'clock, it was my turn to head back. All three of my family members went with me to see the hilarious scream fest they believed was going to happen. They all had their phones out ready to record. The artist asked if I was ready and all of a sudden my heart rate tripled. I had no idea what that needle was going to feel like and I couldn't exactly stop in the middle, if the pain became too much, and leave. Can you imagine what that would look like? Totally NOT an option.

The needle turned on, I closed my eyes, and the first line was drawn.

That's it?

Where's the pain that makes you want to chug Advil?

Where's the pressure?

What makes this so “badass"?

My sister asked me how it felt and was disappointed, to say the least. Everyone ended their videos quickly and returned to the waiting room. I honestly don't see what all the fuss is about. Heck, I fell asleep in the middle of the process. It was a breeze.

About an hour later I was officially tatted. I fell in love as soon as I saw the finished product.

My body had a new addition that would last forever and I adored every bit of it.

Never in my life did I think my mother would text me saying we were going to get tattoos and I definitely never thought my dad would agree to it. I don't know what was in the air that day, but my family went full-on crazy.

At least something cool came out of it. It was a night I'll never forget.