10 Underrated Netflix Shows That You're Missing Just Because You're Watching 'Friends' AGAIN

Don't worry, all of your "Friends" will still be there for you when you're done binging these.

4170

Over this winter break I had the opportunity and time to watch many new movies, series and documentaries on netflix in order to dig myself out of a deep boredom hole. And after having watched almost everything Netflix has to offer, I have decided to give a shoutout to some of the most praiseworthy titles that a lot of you probably haven't watched. So here is my top 10 most underrated Netflix titles:

10. "3%"

I don't know if you are into foreign shows or not, however I do know what a good show is when I see one and 3% is nothing less than that. This Brazilian-made show is a very entertaining thriller about a group of 20 year old kids that are aspiring to earn a free pass into a sort of utopian world in the other side of the favelas. In order to do this however, they have to pass a "proving", a series of mental and physical challenges, that will put their capabilities to the test. The catch is that only 3% of all the 20 year-old population can earn a spot in this utopian world. To be completely honest, the first season is very good. The second season is not as good, but it is still worth watching due to all the twists and turns that the story and some of the main characters go through. The show is entertaining and relatively short because it only has two seasons, so if you're looking for a short but fast paced adventure, this one might be up your alley. Rate: 8 out of 10.

9. "Magnus"

upload.wikimedia.org

Magnus is a docu-film telling the astounding true story of the genius and chess prodigy Magnus Carlsen. If you are into documentaries, this one will not disappoint you. Even though at times it may seem to be a bit slow paced, it still is a very good film. It will effectively immerse you into the life of Magnus, allowing you to live his struggles and successes as if they were your own. His story is that of no ordinary boy and it will truly captivate you, if you give it a chance. Rate: 8 out 10.

8. "Hush"

@fallosderaccord on Instagram

If you are into horror movies, this one is the one for you. Hush is about how a deaf writer who lives in almost complete isolation must fight for survival when a masked serial killer enters her property, seemingly threatening to end her life. This movie is very original and it quite honestly might be one of the best horror movies I've seen. Even though I am not a huge fan of the genre, I found this film to be very enjoyable. It kept me on my toes wondering what would happen next throughout the whole thing and for that it has very well-deserved spot on this list. Rate: 8.25 out of 10.

7. "Altered Carbon"

Whether you like sci-fi series or not, this one is a must watch. Altered Carbon is yet another very original and vibrant show that takes place sometime in a distant future where humanity can live almost eternally, even after physical death, by means of a chip that contains your persona. The plot revolves around solving the case of the mysterious physical death of one of the most powerful men of the time. I know the whole thing is kind of funky, but the story is very engaging and interesting, especially considering how complex the world and the characters are. In my opinion, big part of what makes this show great is its complexity, colors, lively world and the fact that is very different from your ordinary TV show. If you are looking for something different yet exciting, give this one a try. You will most likely not be disappointed. Rate: 8.5 out of 10.

6. "Dark"

This show is not the first ever German series to stream internationally for nothing. Dark is a mysterious thriller that takes place in a small German town where two children disappear seemingly out of nowhere. Their mysterious disappearances however, reveal many untold truths and connections between the families of several townspeople. This thriller does a great job keeping you engaged and trying to figure out what is really going on. Even if the story might be hard to follow at times due to the fact that the true unfolding of events happens in the later stages of the series, it is still an absolutely amazing show. If you chose to watch this show, I promise that your patience will be abundantly rewarded. Rate: 8.5 out of 10.

5. "The Founder"

c1.staticflickr.com

The Founder movie narrates the true story of how the largest and most successful fast food chain was created. Michael Keaton does a fantastic job portraying Ray Kroc in this rather interesting and kind of sad journey. This film does an excellent job at uncovering all the hidden facts behind the creation of the restaurant that today can be spotted anywhere by simply looking at the 2 big yellow arches. Rate: 8.7 out of 10.

4. "Sleeping With Other People"

This one is one of my favorite rom-coms on Netflix and as it turns out, it's pretty unpopular, so I'll give it its deserved shout out here. Sleeping With Other People is a film about a sex-addict womanizer, who after 12 years finds the person whom he lost his virginity with at a sex-ed meeting. Turns out that both of their sex and romantic lives are lacking, but finding each other might help them find the answers they were looking for. This one is a fresh and up-to-date story that is both funny and engaging. It is a very neat and relatively realistic story that might make you believe in love once more. Rate: 8.7 out of 10.

3. "Our Lovers"

Another international movie, Our Lovers is an absolutely astounding Spanish rom-com released in 2016. This film tells the story of how two individuals with very complicated romantic lives meet and decide to play a game with one simple rule: not falling in love with each other. Miguel Ángel Lamata does a spectacular job creating a wonderful tale that is very distinct from the regular rom-coms in its own way. It is a film that is romantic without being cheesy, and predictable without being cliche. In the simplest terms, what makes Our Lovers different, is the fact that it achieves to find the perfect balance in all aspects, making it a true standout film. Rate 9 out of 10.

2. "Peaky Blinders"

c1.staticflickr.com

An absolute gem of a show, and definitely one of my favorite ones ever, Peaky Blinders is an action-packed series narrating the story of how Tommy Shelby and his crew take over the English and European mafia after getting involved in a lot of "bad business". This show is good from beginning to end. After binge watching it during Christmas and New Year's break, I seriously have nothing bad to say about this series. It is fast paced, thrilling, it has an amazing storyline, very well developed characters, and absolutely badass action scenes. The only reason why I do not give this show the top spot on this list is that it is more well known and may be more widely recognized than my number one pick. Do not let this distract you from the fact that I probably think this might be the best show overall on this list. Rate: 9.5 out of 10.

1. "Mindhunter"

By far the most underrated title on this list, Mindhunter brings to the table a lot of elements that work in almost perfect synchrony, successfully putting together one of the very best shows in Netflix altogether. Mindhunter narrates how an FBI agent and a psychologist study why some of the world's most dangerous killers do what they do through the conduction of numerous interviews. What makes this show special, is that through watching the interviews they conduct, you may actually achieve to understand what is the reasoning behind the criminals' actions. It may sound creepy but analyzing and observing how things are from their perspective is very interesting and can be very mind-boggling. Overall it is a fresh, original, mind-blowing and eye-opening show that should get more recognition and praise. Rate 9.25 out of 10.