The Top 8 Most Overrated Movies Of All Time

Several movies have gotten a little more praise than they deserve.

953
https://unsplash.com/photos/GF8VvBgcJ4o

After the night of the Oscars, many people on Twitter are still questioning whether some of the nominated Oscar movies should have won the awards they received. "Green Book" is taking a lot of heat as many people are calling it the most overrated film to win Best Picture. Though I haven't seen the movie, there are plenty of other overrated films that may not have won an Oscar but certainly were overhyped. You can probably remember at least one movie that was very overrated at the time. And though you may not agree with every movie on this list, you'll admit that at least one of them was very overrated.

1. "Inception"

I cannot tell you how much this movie was hyped up! I remember in 8th grade, "Inception" was the most popular movie. When I watched the film, I couldn't see why it was considered the best movie. For one thing, the movie is extremely slow to where it's extremely hard to pay attention, and the plot has no real sense to it. I understand that the movie is trying to follow the quantum theory, however, the way the movie presents it makes no sense, even someone who understands the quantum theory! Because of its slow nonexistent plot, it's one of the top overrated movies of all time.

2. "Paranormal Activity"

Critics presented it as one of the scariest movies of all time, and people would go on about how they had constant nightmares after watching this movie. I'm not sure if it's just because I've seen scarier movies than "Paranormal Activity," but this movie did not even induce one restless night of sleep. If anything, it causes you to fall asleep within 30 minutes of someone jumping around with a camera whenever they hear a gentle creak in the floor. I feel like I could just watch "Ghost Adventures" and get more action than "Paranormal Activity."

People also said that it was the first movie to have been featured as one of the actors filming their night of terror. Excuse me, does "Blair Witch" not ring a bell to them? The movie is far from original and for the most part is extremely overrated for a horror movie.

3. "Twilight"

"Twilight" was one of the biggest movie franchises for middle schoolers and teens. When I originally watched the movies, I thought that they were the best that I had seen. However, when I watch them now as an adult, I find that the movies are nowhere close to the best. Maybe it's the acting, the cliques, or the plot itself, but I would probably never rank this movie as a number-one pick.

4. "Prometheus"

This is another very long, hard-to-follow film. There were so many long-time fans of the "Alien" franchise who were fixated on this movie. I get it, "Alien" is and always will be one of my favorite classic horror movies. However, "Prometheus" takes the one thing that made the "Alien" movies great and destroys it. The reason why the "Alien" movies were scary or at least suspenseful was that the alien creature was very mysterious where the audience had no idea what it was or where it came from, which then played on the audience's fear of the unknown. Because the movie tries to over-explain the alien creature in a very nonsensical way, it makes it one of the most overrated movies of all time.

5. "Interstellar"

This movie had a lot of similarities to the movie "Space Odyssey" where it has great visual effects but can be very slow at times. The one huge criticism I have for this movie is that it is one of the slowest moving films of all time. In addition, even though the visual effects were great, there were so many things in the plot that didn't add up. Like how the main character, Cooper, was able to pilot a spaceship perfectly without any prior experience. He also just miraculously escaped a black hole and then was found easily by a human spaceship. There's no consideration for how hard it would be to find a random tiny human floating in space.

6. "Deadpool"

OK, I understand that there a lot of people who will disagree with me on this. However, I can never watch more than 30 minutes of "Deadpool," or I've only ever laughed at maybe one joke in the movie, which was when they were making fun of X-Men. Most of the jokes seem very juvenile to me. And it's not like it's that hard to make me laugh. If you ask anyone, I will laugh at almost anything! But "Deadpool" is not funny or enjoyable, and this is coming from someone who has always loved anything that is related to superheroes. Unless someone can explain it to me, I don't understand why "Deadpool" is considered one of the funniest superhero movies of all time.

7. "Prisoners"

Don't get me wrong, "Prisoners" starts out good. It shows a father's daughter going missing, and the father goes on a quest to hunt down the person responsible for his child's disappearance. Where it loses me is when he decides to kidnap someone who was previously found to have nothing to do with his child's disappearance and decides to take matters into his own hands.

I understand that any parent would lose their mind if their child went missing, and I get that the law system in America is far from perfect. But taking the law into your hands by torturing someone to death when you have absolutely no proof that they're responsible for your child's disappearance? I could understand if the movie at least attempted to show how morally unjust this is, but it makes absolutely no attempt! By the end, it seems that the main character is almost presented as some sort of hero, which is almost too sickening to watch.

8. "Murder on The Orient Express"

Just like the movie "Prisoners," this movie again pushes the notion that it's OK to take the law into your own hands. Without spoiling anything, all I can say is that this movie does not follow any logic, is very unrealistic, and has way too many plot holes to count. Which is really a shame, because the movie starts out good, but by the middle begins to lose its steam. By the end "Orient Express" resembles a trainwreck. The movie is a classic example of how a movie can have great actors and a great premise but due to poor writing or a lack of realism can leave you leaving the theater feeling very unsatisfied.

If you find yourself judging the Oscar-winning movies this year, you can look at this list and be reminded that there are a lot of movies that are more overrated. Again, you don't have to agree with every movie I put on this list, and you may have enjoyed some of them. However, you have to agree that most of the movies on this list are overpraised in some regards.