Mosh Pits Aren't For Everyone

If You Can't Handle The Pit, Don't Get In It

Don't ruin them for somebody else just because you can't handle them.

30

Mosh pits, as they are called, have been a pet peeve of mine for quite some time. Not because I don't enjoy them, because I do, but because they are often ruined by other people.

Let me start by saying a pit is in the general admission floor. It starts at the barricade and goes from there. People first crowd at the barricade, then people crowd behind them, and so on and so forth. You get the picture.

There is a lot of pushing and a lot of shoving. If you are at the barricade, you're usually shoved against it. If you're in the middle of the pit, you're usually squished amongst the people around you.

I've see posts on social media from people who've said they've had anxiety attacks in the pit from not being able to movie, pictures of injuries from people who've said they've gotten hurt and posts explaining why mosh pits shouldn't be a thing.

While I feel sorry for these people, I just want to say something that's been on my mind for awhile.

If you can't handle the pit, stay out of it. If you need to be able to exit quickly for whatever reason, the pit is not for you. If you don't like being shoved, pushed or people pressing up against you trying to get to the barricade, the pit is not for you.

At some shows, there is what is called the wall of death where basically the pit splits down the middle and both slides clash when the singer says so. There is also what's called a circle pit, which is where the pit opens up and people run in a circle, usually shoving each other around.

Most shows that I've been to usually do not get that intense, but my point is you will get hurt.

Something that you need to be aware of are crowd surfers. They usually surf from the back in an attempt to make their way to the front, but that doesn't always work. Sometimes they are dropped and sometimes people don't want to help them get to the front. Despite what people may say, you do NOT have to help a crowd surfer out if you don't want to.

Sometimes, the artists will become a part of the crowd, and this can cause people to push and shove in an attempt to try and grab the artist's hand or whatever is in reach. While this can be exciting if they are standing by you, be prepared to brace yourself for the sea of people behind you trying to touch the artist. Shout out to Jack Barakat of All Time Low for nearly crushing me back in April. I nearly died but it was totally worth it.

If I'm going to be in the pit, I personally need barricade because I need to be able to move my arms when I get squished from all the people shoving around. If I know that I can't get barricade, then I won't get in the pit because I know my limits.

I'm not saying mosh pits are good or bad, what I'm saying is that they are unavoidable and happen at every show that has a general admission floor. If you don't like being squished, having people dropped on you or being in a crowd of hot, sweaty people, then don't get in the pit.

Don't ruin the pit for other people because you can't handle it. Know what your limits are. If they're pushed too far, get out or don't go in at all.