More Than Life Changes

More Than Life Changes

56
More Than Life Changes
EILEEN FINAN for People Magazine

Thomas Rhett is by far one of my favorite country artists, but it's not just his music I love. His whole lifestyle is honestly amazing. The way he presents his faith in so many aspects of his life is exactly what I believe I would do if I was a rock star. Anyways, I am really big lyrics person and I started really listening to the gems of verses Thomas Rhett just spits out in this song. I started digging into the root of every word and how much each verse of Life Changes was probably prayed over. This is how I want to portray my life changes like rolling with the punches. I figured I just write about just some of the verses that really make me realize how this song is so much more than just Thomas Rhett's life changes, but even someone who has had few life changes can get in her feels over this song.

1. "Waking up in my college dorm Yeah, my life, it was pretty normal"

Being the life stage that I am at this lyric is very relatable because daily I do I wake up and life feels normal, but the is question what is normal? My definition of normal and others are completely different. On those days that don't feel normal I pray that we find peace in the chaos.

2."Never dreamed anyone else would like'em Now they're sitting on a Walmart shelf"

Now obviously for a girl who sings off key I am not going to be selling records on a Walmart shelf. Compare this to life and how much we hold back expressing our opinions, our thoughts, our advice, or our talents because we feel as though no one else will approve. At the end of the day, we weren't put on this earth to please people, go out and make your dreams happen because who knows where you might land.

3."Ain't it funny how life changes You wake up, ain't nothing the same..."

I feel this is one the best lines in the song because life never stays the same. It feels like every day we are introduced with a new challenge and our choices could have life altering changes. Which is exciting, but also overwhelming for someone who hates change. I feel like as a society we like living in this little bubble of what feels good and stepping outside of it seems overwhelming. It is in those times that nothing seems the same that we are challenged, learn to really grow into who we are because all we knew before has suddenly altered.

4."You can't stop it, just hop on the train and You never know what's gonna happen"

A lot times when change happens, we want to live in the past, but Thomas Rhett reminds us through this line that we can't stop and just to keep on having faith in the Lord. This is not our life to conduct it's in the Lord's hands and it's true you never know what's going to happen. As soon as you plan something the unexpected takes place, but it's kind of the old saying life never goes as planned because then it would be easy.

5."You make your plans and you hear god laughing"

THIS IS MY FAVORITE PART!! How many times do you do something and feel like you should slap yourself in the face because it was so dumb? I imagine in those times the Lord is laughing like silly girl you knew better. Or in those times when life is just perfect in our eyes and God's like having a gotcha moment in heaven because he knows the sin you are living in. In life we have to make decisions like where to go to college, what degree to pick, who to marry, how many kids to have, but do you think you made that decision? No, ultimately it was the Lord who made those plans because when you try to take over the steering wheel of your life that's when he starts laughing I think since he does know better.

6."I bought a ring and she said "I do" But everybody else said, "man, you're twenty-two" "Whatcha trying to prove?" "Hey why don't you wait?" 'Cause I've been waiting on her since the second grade yeah"

This part of the song reminds me of how much in life we have people who try to tell us how to live, even though they do not know the backstory.In these simple moments we will suddenly have all these opinions, but they only see what the world thinks and do not take time to really know your heart. I'm sure Thomas Rhett had spent a lifetime praying over his marriage and it's evident to this day that he did. So all the haters are probably by the wayside nowadays, regardless I think this is how we should approach every life changing decision knowing that we will have people who disapprove. As long as you stay grounded in who you are than ultimately that's all matters. #hatersgonnahate

7. " And I wrote a little song about holding her hand and now everybody wanna die happy now"

Ladies take notes! Now I know we are dying for a man like Thomas Rhett, but we need to remember is no guy is the same. Life is not a fairy tale, yet I think if we accept that and realize life will have it's ups and down we are a lot better off. Learn to appreciate the little things, yes it may get annoying, but you can live a life with a happy man if you're willing to be patient. You may not get a whole song written about you, but maybe that burnt dinner he cooked, or him watching your silly hallmark movies is his way of showing you that you are his fairy tale.

8. "From Uganda, that's right, we're adopting And she is the cutest little girl that you've ever seen."

The way he loves his daughter is so beautiful. It is so obvious how much this gift from the Lord is such a blessing in his eyes because he wrote about it in this song. This line had me wanting to adopt from Uganda if I don't know about y'all. Gosh, he just makes adoption sound so exciting, even though I'm currently not anywhere close to marriage and I have tons of college debt I realize it's not realistic anytime soon!

9."A bigger wrench got thrown in the plans we thought we'd had. Now Lauren's showin' and got one on the way. Yeah that's two into two, hey, what can I say?"

This is another moment where God changes courses for Thomas, although he's still so joyful. Two kids means double the trouble and double the cost, on the other hand it seems like his wrench does not seem like a wrench at all. I love just the way his song glorifies how faithful the Lord is. It's evident not many people could handle two babies at one time, instead Thomas and Lauren seem to be loving it because it's the Lord's plan.

10. "Life changes (yes it does) and I wouldn't change it for the world"

I end this article with this lyric because life changes and we need to just take it in strides. Those life changes made you who you are today my friend. I think the Lord made you a beautiful creation.

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”

Deuteronomy 31:6